String Change with the Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Change with the Floyd

I changed the strings on the soloist yesterday and tried the 9 volt battery trick and it came out in almost perfect tune.

Now I just need to find a piece of wood or plastic the same size.

I've never tried that one yet, but I've heard of it.
    I change mine one at a time, stretch, retune, then move to the next....
    When I'm done the trem stays put, and all I have to do is lock it down and fine tune.
    That works best for me, but I've heard of the 9v trick, and also a pink eraser.
    There's prob a dozen different ways that we all go about this. Thanks for posting, that was kinda neat.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Yes I also use that trick...heard that once they sold shaped blocks of wood to do this job.
      '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
      '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
      '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
      '92 Fender Strat scallop
      '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
      '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

I have this thing called a "Trem-stop" or something like that. It's a plastic wedge with a foam backer that slides under the trem.
        I'll have to snap a pic of it... had it for nearly 15 years.
        Works great since I take all the strings off at once so I can clean the board.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          I have this thing called a "Trem-stop" or something like that. It's a plastic wedge with a foam backer that slides under the trem.
          I'll have to snap a pic of it... had it for nearly 15 years.
          Works great since I take all the strings off at once so I can clean the board.
          Tremolok. I've got one of those, and have also had it for about 15 years or so.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yea... that's the thing!
            Works great and doesn't scratch up the finish.
            -Rick

Comment

Where can you buy one of those?
              Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Most Guitar Centers.

In 1993! :ROTF:

Sorry. Sleep deprivation makes everything seem funnier.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

that's cool. I stuck some hard foam stuff behind the trem in the cavity and it kinda worked but I'm a stupid noob with this floud stuff . But I can't stick a 9v battery on mine it doesn't have that space under it.

Comment

i might have to take some craft foam and glue it to the top and bottom of a 4 inch flat metal bar and call it a day. make my own for like $2

Comment

With my Charvel M5 and it's top mount JT6 I used to just roll up a washcloth and stick it underneath to protect the finish. It works pretty good, but it would be a bit harder i think with a routed in floyd.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Tremolok. I've got one of those, and have also had it for about 15 years or so.
                        I got the battery idea from this thread
                        http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6751
                        Didnt that tremolok dent the body on one of your guitars? I thought they quit making the tremolok?

Comment

Yeah, it did put a little dent in the body of my old Yamaha. I don't know what the hell happened. Strange thing.
                          Half the time I wouldn't even use that thing and would just pull off all the guitar strings and restring without using anything to prop the Floyd up.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That must have been some damn soft wood for that thing to have caused a dent.
                            I've used mine on every Floyded guitar I own, including my PC1 and never had any issues with it.
                            -Rick

Comment

I had a fender HM strat and the body on that dude was soft as hell. I think it must have been basswood

Comment

Working...
                              X