SLSDimarzio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSDimarzio

So, I finally swapped out the HZs on the SLSMG for a pair of Dimarzios. X2N in the bridge, Tonezone in the neck. Both pickups sound great individually, but the middle position sounds like ass. Sounds almost like the tone knob is rolled all the way down.
    Wired it up as usual, red to the switch, green and bare to ground, and black and white taped off together. Any ideas why the middle position would sound so bad? I know if the pickups are out of phase, it can sound off, but why would wiring it the normal way make it out of phase? Thanks for any help.
    EAOS: 28JUN09

The fact that you have a higher output pickup in the neck could cause a problem. You do have 2 bass sided pickups so I would think the two together would be muddy.

Comment

They can sound out of phase if the polarities of the magnets aren't opposite but equal, being both bridge PUs it is possible.

Just invert the two wires of the front PU as listen to what happens.
      '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
      '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
      '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
      '92 Fender Strat scallop
      '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
      '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        The fact that you have a higher output pickup in the neck could cause a problem. You do have 2 bass sided pickups so I would think the two together would be muddy.
        The X2N is a higher output pickup than the Tone Zone.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
          They can sound out of phase if the polarities of the magnets aren't opposite but equal, being both bridge PUs it is possible.

Mike Romeo uses the X2N/Tone Zone combo. It's got nothing to do with them being both "bridge" pickups. You can use them in either position.

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles View Post
            So, I finally swapped out the HZs on the SLSMG for a pair of Dimarzios. X2N in the bridge, Tonezone in the neck. Both pickups sound great individually, but the middle position sounds like ass. Sounds almost like the tone knob is rolled all the way down.
            Wired it up as usual, red to the switch, green and bare to ground, and black and white taped off together. Any ideas why the middle position would sound so bad? I know if the pickups are out of phase, it can sound off, but why would wiring it the normal way make it out of phase? Thanks for any help.
            I think your wiring is off somewhere. When you say "wired it up as usual", do you mean you used the same wiring that the HZs had? DiMarzio uses a different color wiring code than Duncan, and I think the passive EMGs are the same as Duncan.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Mike Romeo uses the X2N/Tone Zone combo. It's got nothing to do with them being both "bridge" pickups. You can use them in either position.
              The polarity of bridge PUs are the same, while a neck PU has a inverted polarity in conparison with a bridge. There is no problem using a bridge PU in the neck position but still, the polarity will be the same as the other PU.
              '92 Fender Strat scallop
              '97 BC Rich perfect Bich

Comment

Joe, yeah, I wired it using the Dimarzio specs, which were actually the same as the EMGs, surprisingly.
                Cuthbert, do you mean swapping the ground and hot?

Comment

Joe, yeah, I wired it using the Dimarzio specs, which were actually the same as the EMGs, surprisingly.
                  Ah, okay. For some reason, I thought the EMGs were the same as the Duncan specs. Interesting.

Comment

The X2N is a higher output pickup than the Tone Zone.
                    I am confused then the dc resistance on the TZ is 17 and the x2n is 15.
                    what do you use for output?

Comment

DC resistance doesn't always equal output. Ask about that on the Duncan Forum. It could depend on the gauge of wire used, how it's wound, etc.

The X2N is the highest output pickup DiMarzio makes. I've used both the X2N and Tone Zone, and the X2N definitely is quite a bit hotter.

Also, on DiMarzio's site, they state the output of the X2N is 510 and the Tone Zone is 375.

Comment

Also, on DiMarzio's site, they state the output of the X2N is 510 and the Tone Zone is 375.
                        Thanks toejam. I never noticed the output line before. That's better then SDs just showing a flame for high output.

Comment

Cuthbert, do you mean swapping the ground and hot?
                          Yup, it wouldn't hurt.

If my theory is correct, it may solve the problem, anyway it would be just a trial.
                          '92 Fender Strat scallop
                          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            DC resistance doesn't always equal output. Ask about that on the Duncan Forum. It could depend on the gauge of wire used, how it's wound, etc.
                            These parameters, in particular the the size of the wire, influence the DC resistance according to Ohm's second law.

The output of a pickup is defined by the strength of the magnetic field, aka inductance, and DC resistance, for instance, the Custom Custom is wired like the Custom and the Custom 5, but weaker magnet, lower output...
                            '92 Fender Strat scallop
                            '97 BC Rich perfect Bich

Comment

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
                              Yup, it wouldn't hurt.

If my theory is correct, it may solve the problem, anyway it would be just a trial.
                              Thanks, I'll give it a try

Comment

Working...
                              X