X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose whammy bar (floyd)

i have the type pictured here:
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...500_AA280_.jpg
    anyone have any good tips as far as keeping it tight and stiff? it seems like no matter how hard i tighten the little screw portion, it always become loose after i flutter or dive it a few times. thanks.

Put some teflon plumber's tape (PTFE) around the threads you screw the bar collar onto.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The teflon tape trick works, I do it myself.
      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

I have a collar bar like that. That just doesnt want to saty where i put it. I can tighten the collar all the way down and the bar still swings anyway it wants to. Anybody got any ideas for making the bar tighter even when the collar is?
        Gil

Comment

replace the collar and bar with a new schaller
          (from the photo, it looks like a schaller copy that they sell cheap on e-bay, and that suck... I have one)
          that's the best way, and not real expensive to do.
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

The teflon tape trick works, I do it myself
            No leaking either.

Comment

I have a JT580LP that does this. My other guitar with a JT590 doesn't. Anyone selling a JT590?
              Scott

Comment

is there a screw on the underside of the bridge?
                no sig.....

Comment

I have the same thing on my SX beater guitar. I tightened it down with a pair of locking pliers. It isn't going ANYWHERE now unless I get the pliers back out. The arm itself can still be rotated in the socket but it actually stays where I put it and it no longer wobbles in the socket.

Easy and FREE fix.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                    I have a collar bar like that. That just doesnt want to saty where i put it. I can tighten the collar all the way down and the bar still swings anyway it wants to. Anybody got any ideas for making the bar tighter even when the collar is?
                    Gil
                    You'll just have to get another bar and see if it fits right. I've got an import Brian Moore model with licensed Floyd (looks just like the Jackson JT580LP). It didn't come with a bar, so I put one on it, but the bar wobbles around like crazy even though the collar is tight. Another bar I tried on it was better, but still not perfect.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use clearcoated nail varnish around or I better say under the screw on thingy...
                      Once it is dry just put it in and screw it tight and your bar is ok again
                      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Working...
                      X