another one of those pick up cover questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another one of those pick up cover questions

ok so i'm planning on puttin covers on my pickups and i got both metal and plastic ones, so heres my questions(and yes i did do some searchin before asking) what are the poles made of? if i put a metal plate under the plastic covers(on top of the poles) will it make my pickup operate similar to rail pickups? last one, what do you guys prefer and why? thanks.

i thought if you covered open coils without waxing dipping you get major problems with feedback and unwanted noises..... could be wrong though

Comment

are open coils the ones that dont have a ribbon covering the wires or are the ribbon covered ones also considered open coils?

Comment

i presumed open coils where ribbon covered with the plastic bobbin showing..

Comment

Originally posted by elysianfield View Post
          i thought if you covered open coils without waxing dipping you get major problems with feedback and unwanted noises..... could be wrong though
          Possibly.

For a metal cover, you need to clamp it down to the pickup when soldering or else it will sqeal. The cover must be on tightly.

I don't know if wax is needed or not.

The original PAF's were not waxed, but then again, no one was using high gain back in 1957.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
            ok so i'm planning on puttin covers on my pickups and i got both metal and plastic ones, so heres my questions(and yes i did do some searchin before asking) what are the poles made of? if i put a metal plate under the plastic covers(on top of the poles) will it make my pickup operate similar to rail pickups? last one, what do you guys prefer and why? thanks.
            1)The poles...usually in humbuckers they are made of ferromagnetic material, usually mild carbon steel with ferritic cristalline structure (austenite and martensite are NOT magnetic!), that are in contact with one pole of the magnet, that is on the base of the pickup.

But in Fender single coils the poles are actually the magnets.

2)Mmm, no, assuming that you're using a ferromagnetic metal, you close the magnetic field of the magnet putting in contact north and south, in short magnetic short circuit and no sound.

3About covers?Plastic covers don't interfere with the magnetic field of the PUs, aesthetically it depends by the guitar, for instance, on my soloist I like the look ala EMG of the original pickups. On Les Paul I like Zebras a lot, but I've a penchant for double cream coils like the Dimarzio Super Distortion...

And I consider the old Bill Lawrence L-500, the one cream with the chromed case one of the most killer looking Pus ever made.
            '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
            '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
            '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
            '92 Fender Strat scallop
            '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
            '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
              1)The poles...usually in humbuckers they are made of ferromagnetic material, usually mild carbon steel with ferritic cristalline structure (austenite and martensite are NOT magnetic!), that are in contact with one pole of the magnet, that is on the base of the pickup.

But in Fender single coils the poles are actually the magnets.

2)Mmm, no, assuming that you're using a ferromagnetic metal, you close the magnetic field of the magnet putting in contact north and south, in short magnetic short circuit and no sound.

3About covers?Plastic covers don't interfere with the magnetic field of the PUs, aesthetically it depends by the guitar, for instance, on my soloist I like the look ala EMG of the original pickups. On Les Paul I like Zebras a lot, but I've a penchant for double cream coils like the Dimarzio Super Distortion...

And I consider the old Bill Lawrence L-500, the one cream with the chromed case one of the most killer looking Pus ever made.
              cool thanks for the info.

Comment

Metal covers (Gibson, Duncan) are not magnetic metal, so they won't interfere with the field, presumably as long as they're not touching the poles, as Cuthbert stated about the bar.

There was a guy on Ebay a while back (and in magazines) selling tone-shaping metal tabs that you could lay on poles to alter their tonal characteristics. He had a jagged spiky one to turn medium-output pickups into high-gain, and I think an oval shaped one to beef up the middle poles.

Not sure how well they worked, though.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Metal covers (Gibson, Duncan) are not magnetic metal, so they won't interfere with the field, presumably as long as they're not touching the poles, as Cuthbert stated about the bar.

There was a guy on Ebay a while back (and in magazines) selling tone-shaping metal tabs that you could lay on poles to alter their tonal characteristics. He had a jagged spiky one to turn medium-output pickups into high-gain, and I think an oval shaped one to beef up the middle poles.

Not sure how well they worked, though.

any idea what they were called? that would be cool to try out provided they arent too expensive.

Comment

I have no idea what they were called.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah it definitely sounds interesting.
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven
                      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

ok so if i use metal covers that dont magnetize to the poles can they touch the poles? if not what do i do, just put a thin layer of waxunder the topside of the cover? or just use some 3m double sided? and if they're not magnetic should i ground it to the pickup or will it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                          ok so if i use metal covers that dont magnetize to the poles can they touch the poles? if not what do i do, just put a thin layer of waxunder the topside of the cover? or just use some 3m double sided? and if they're not magnetic should i ground it to the pickup or will it matter?

1)IF metal covers touch the poles, they get magnetized, no metal is perfectly amagnetic, in a PAF like humbucker with covers the sound of the main coil is dominant.

2)Mmm, I wouldn't suggest it.

3)Metal cover MUST always be grounded, or you'll experience SERIOUS problems.
                          '92 Fender Strat scallop
                          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich

Comment

[quote=Cuthbert;1155660]

quote]

you wouldnt suggest the wax or 3m or both? how else would i keep it from touching the poles(actually its rails x2n)

Comment

[QUOTE=jdr94;1155689]
                              Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post

quote]

you wouldnt suggest the wax or 3m or both? how else would i keep it from touching the poles(actually its rails x2n)
                              Not waxing, but enclosing with a metal shield the poles, in this case of a X2N, the only "sealed" rail humbucker I know is the Iommi, but honestly I don't have any idea about how it's made, if you want to take the risk anyway, I may be wrong, and the worst thing is that the PU doesn't sound...
                              '92 Fender Strat scallop
                              '97 BC Rich perfect Bich

Comment

Working...
                              X