Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Randall or Egnater modular heads, help a brotha out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall or Egnater modular heads, help a brotha out!

Hey guys

I'm really lookin for some light to be shed on these amps. I've done a few searches here and various other sites

I've been reading alot of info on Egnater stuff and owned a TOL head by Rocktron and an original TOL100 a while ago....LONG while ago. anyhow I just traded my Uberschall off for something I really wanted, even though I regret it hahaha, but I'll probably get another one, but anyhow

what do the Randall MTS heads perform like? I have read there are alot of mods out there for them, and I've seen a few randall employees have done thier own faceplates and stuff, but all the cosmetics aside, I'm looking for something that will do the cleans to the ultra high gains.

I just got a Rivera K-Tre and really like it, I have to work with it still however and pair the right cabinet with it, and just might use my Axe FX to tone shape it further as I havn't messed with it in that regard,

but what can you tell me about the Egnater head and Randall, obviously the Egnater is better build quality, but I'm looking for more aggressive tones with the smoother ones in there as I'd probably settle on one good clean module and 2 high gain ones, if I could get the Egnater 4 channle module head that would be great, 1 clean and 3 gain.

I get the modules that can get me the cleans I want, those are not the issue, but for the highest gain I'm looking to produce would be Pantera style tight solid state tones.

the band I'm in plays COC, Down, AIC, Pantera type music and we throw some covers of black sabbath in there. I lean more towards the pantera side for my tone however.

Anyhow, if anyone can chime in that would be awesome.

thanks

C

I just got a lynch box and Im blown away........

i have the SL+, the mr Scary and the 1086.

Im Still in the honeymoon stage, but Im stoked at how good this thing sounds.......
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Randall tends to be more aggressive IMHO, the Egnater modules give you a rhythm/lead per module (shared EQ, gain and level on each channel though) and cost around $250-$300 used a pop. Egnaters can use Randall Modules, Randalls can use Engnaters, but only get the first channel.

If you get one, let me know, I mod modules and own at least one of each MTS amp and the rack setup. Egnater is going to be better build quality, but I've not had a problem with any of my Randalls.

Here's some of my Randall-modding spam
      www.gigmods.com/mods.htm

Pete

Comment

shit, Pete. That is nuts! I remember you having A Randall....
        Hail yesterday

Comment

The Randall RM100 and Egnater Mod100 all use the same exact parts with the exception of the Transformer (and possibly the power tubes, which are easily switched anyway.) The transformer is not supposed to have a major impact on tone. I cannot personally confirm this as I don't own a Mod100, but the consensus is that they are very similar.

My point is that the tones are going to be very close. Newer Egnaters are dual channel which means that there is a red and green channel per module. For a total of 6 channels on the Mod100 VS. 3 on the RM100.

RM100s will except Egnater modules and vice versa, but will only play the red channel on dual channel modules. Here is the kicker though. RM100s can be modified to play both channels. You have to send the head to Bruce Egnater and there is a waiting list.

From my experience, there are so many tones available with just the Randall parts that this mod would be completely superfluous.

Egnater modules tend to lend themselves less to the types of music you want to play. The Randalls are going to be your bread and butter for the high gain stuff.

As far as which Randall modules are going to get you that killer high gain tone, I have the 1086 and it is wicked, but I like the Recto best so far. I have heard clips of the Ultra and it sounds killer too. That’s on my whish list along with the KH-2 and KH-3. I recommend checking out Randalls youtube page. They have videos demoing a bunch of the different modules.

I have 5 modules when I get another; I plan to get another RM100. I love them that much.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

Comment

Quick FYI, the modules do NOT use the same parts - Randall and Egnater use different parts in the signal path and even different parts for channel switching. Not sure about the actual heads, but I figure if the modules use different parts then the amps probably do too.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
              Quick FYI, the modules do NOT use the same parts - Randall and Egnater use different parts in the signal path and even different parts for channel switching. Not sure about the actual heads, but I figure if the modules use different parts then the amps probably do too.

Pete
              I cant be sure, because like I said, I don't have both heads sitting here to compare. But I read a post on the Randall forums where someone was asking about the differences in quality and one of the Randall techs posted and said the only difference in the Heads were the Transformers. He said all the rest of the parts were the same and even came from the same vendors if I remember correctly.

BTW are you the same Pete from the Randall forums?

Comment

Yep, same pete, if the modules use different parts then I don't see why the amps don't either.

Also, there HAS to be more differences in the amps because the egnaters can use the two channel modules and the randalls can't use both channels of the modules... that would raise to me a huge "Hey, these are different" flag.

Pete

Comment

Hi Pete, nice to see you here again I have two modules modded by Pete (SL+ and XTC) and these are my favorites along with a stock Mr. Scary. I use them 90% of the time in my RM100. The other 10% of the ime I use Blackface for cleans. The Ultra and 1086 can probably do the more heavy stuff discussed here but I prefer the XTC/SL+/Mr. Scary for my distortion tone. The new KH modules sound nice too, heard them at NAMM last year although I don't own any of those yet.
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Pete, how does the Randall RM100 rate compared to the JSX with 6L6 ? Did you try the JVM..I like I like both amps. I'd love to know your opinion on them. You know the kinda tone I like!

Visit more often ..stranger!!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Randall tends to be more aggressive IMHO, the Egnater modules give you a rhythm/lead per module (shared EQ, gain and level on each channel though) and cost around $250-$300 used a pop. Egnaters can use Randall Modules, Randalls can use Engnaters, but only get the first channel.

If you get one, let me know, I mod modules and own at least one of each MTS amp and the rack setup. Egnater is going to be better build quality, but I've not had a problem with any of my Randalls.

Here's some of my Randall-modding spam
                      www.gigmods.com/mods.htm

Pete

AND it looks like a Marshall... Peavey and a Soldano maybe back there too. Whoah... Pete.... How many heds do you own?

Comment

Yep, same pete, if the modules use different parts then I don't see why the amps don't either.

Also, there HAS to be more differences in the amps because the egnaters can use the two channel modules and the randalls can't use both channels of the modules... that would raise to me a huge "Hey, these are different" flag.

Pete
                        I don't know. If I had to guess I would say that Bruce spec'd out the Amp and Randall hasn't changed it since.

The early Egnaters could not use dual channel modules either.

Bruce will modify the RM100s to except dual channel modules, there is a waiting list.

Maybe the tech was comparing the original Mod100 to the RM100, that is more of an apples to apples comparison anyway.

Or, maybe the guy posting wasn't really a tech at all, but just some dude sitting in his moms basement making shit up.

Or, last but certainly not least, maybe I misread or simply do not remeber the post correctly. Its happened before.

I don't care enough about proving myself right to look it up. Unless of course you are really curious, if so, I would be glad to try to find it for you.

That said, I have a few modules that need some help.

I have the Brown, Plexi, Recto, Blackface and 1086

what mods are available for these?

I am pleased with the sound of the 1086, I use it for high gain stuff.

The Brown sounds pretty loose. Is that just me?

The more I listen to the Recto, the more I think it needs something and I can't put my fingure on it. It was my favorite module untill I really started tweaking the 1086

The Blackface, I use for cleans

Plexi I haven't really started messing with yet.

Thanks

Comment

NM Pete, I just found your website.

Comment

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                              AND it looks like a Marshall... Peavey and a Soldano maybe back there too. Whoah... Pete.... How many heds do you own?
                              Several.... current amp list:

Axe-FX
                              Bogner XTC 101B
                              Mesa Dual recto rackmount
                              SLO Clone (in progress)
                              Trainwreck Express Clone (in progress)
                              Trainwreck Liverpool Clone
                              Marshall 18 watt clone I built
                              Modded 70s Fender Champ (I put an slo preamp circuit in it)
                              Randall MTS RM100 head palomino
                              Randall MTS RM100 head black
                              Randall MTS RM20 head palomino
                              Randall MTS RM20 combo
                              Randall MTS RM50 head
                              Randall RT 2/50 power amp with RM4 preamp
                              over a dozen MTS modules for the randalls above
                              Fab Fox head (with street sign chassis, a harmony central piece of history!)
                              Peavey VTM 60 (modded by me)

Comment

Working...
                              X