Did my first pickup swap yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did my first pickup swap yesterday

Took the factory hum out of one of my Fusion Pros and put in a DiMarzio Super Distortion. Amazingly, with everything that could have gone wrong, it appears nothing has! Got 'er in there and buttoned up & playing first time.

This is, believe it or not, after all these years, my first DiMarzio. I put it through my PODXT with Cali Crunch for the amp & the tube screamer, and it was as if Dave Murray's guitar showed up- Really nice Maiden tone.

One thing I found interesting, and I'm starting to wonder if I did something wrong, is the pickup is pretty clean- Way cleaner than my JB's on the dry channels. Is that normal for the SD?

Vass

Well, first DiMarzio, a good one, the SD.

The SD has a high output, but despite of what many think, it doesn't buzz (aka sounds distorted even on clean channels) like the JB, a pickup that I HATE, for the record.
    '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
    '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
    '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    '92 Fender Strat scallop
    '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
    '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

congrats on a flawless operation. now its time to start swapping pickups in every guitar with every combination possible!

Comment

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
        Well, first DiMarzio, a good one, the SD.

The SD has a high output, but despite of what many think, it doesn't buzz (aka sounds distorted even on clean channels) like the JB, a pickup that I HATE, for the record.

Thanks for the feedback- sounds like it just is the way she runs, which is good

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
        congrats on a flawless operation. now its time to start swapping pickups in every guitar with every combination possible!

LOL you got it, the iron wasn't even cold and I was like, "HMMMM, what can I do now?" It's like when you're grilling steaks, and you get a load on before & during the process, and after that big ol fire is going & the steaks are cooked, you just keep going to the kitchen looking for shit to burn- "Hey, I bet Vanilla Wafers are AWESOME on a grill. Let's try it!"

Vass

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
          Thanks for the feedback- sounds like it just is the way she runs, which is good

LOL you got it, the iron wasn't even cold and I was like, "HMMMM, what can I do now?" It's like when you're grilling steaks, and you get a load on before & during the process, and after that big ol fire is going & the steaks are cooked, you just keep going to the kitchen looking for shit to burn- "Hey, I bet Vanilla Wafers are AWESOME on a grill. Let's try it!"

Vass

That's funny.

Comment

Vass, I've been wanting to tell you that I think you did a great job, being this was your first swap. It is just like anything else, it gets better in time and with experience. In my opinion, this is the best bang for the buck mod that you can do to your guitar or bass. It also get addictive, atleast it did for me.
            Once again, good job bro!!
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven
            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I used to be a great swapper in my youth, making a lot of experiments, now probably I'm restarting since I wanna swap a pair of new humbuckers in my Les Paul...
              '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
              '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
              '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
              '92 Fender Strat scallop
              '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
              '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                Vass, I've been wanting to tell you that I think you did a great job, being this was your first swap. It is just like anything else, it gets better in time and with experience. In my opinion, this is the best bang for the buck mod that you can do to your guitar or bass. It also get addictive, atleast it did for me.
                Once again, good job bro!!

Thanks, I appreciate that! And you're right, it will get addictive- I have that personality- Once I do it once & succeed, I just plow into it until I know E V E R Y T H I N G there is to know about it. A little obsessive!

Vass

Comment

Working...
                X