I picked up a Marshall JCM800 2205 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked up a Marshall JCM800 2205 head

Got a good price on it so I thought I would give it a try.

My thoughts are: this thing is way too much of a REAL amp for my purposes.

It sounds FUCKING AWESOME when loud as hell - as in even louder than my band plays. But it sounds FUCKING TERRIBLE at lower volumes - which is what I play at all of the time except for a few hours each week with the band.

Anyone have any ideas to make it bearable at lower volumes?

I don't even mean whisper volume, just low enough that I can play it in my house without damaging my hearing...

Otherwise it will probably hit eBay soon.

Oh yeah - I'm only playing through a 2x12 also, a 4x12 would just make it that much more insane.

The HotPlate or Weber help somewhat. But all-in-all, you would not be able to get a really decent tone from it at low volumes. I think a JMP-1 and a small tube power amp helps a lot better, getting you a very good approximation of the JCM800 tone. Sometimes even arguably better in some ways.

Comment

ya , you really need a hotplate to run one of those without blowing your head off.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I loved my TWO 2210..that I ran in stereo before I bought my Marshalll rack. That was 200 watts Troy..and I never thought they sounded like poopoo at low/moderate levels..I just turned the presence up a tad...

Those fuggers do sound great tho..don't they?

Look mom, ..no stomps!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Only used a hotplate when I wanna make some smores, poptarts..or a toasted chee

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            I loved my TWO 2210..that I ran in stereo before I bought my Marshalll rack. That was 200 watts Troy..and I never thought they sounded like poopoo at low/moderate levels..I just turned the presence up a tad...

Those fuggers do sound great tho..don't they?

Look mom, ..no stomps!
            Hmm maybe I ought try some new preamp tubes then. I'm having to turn the presence and treble down a bit.

Comment

That is like the Holy Grail of Amps!!! Get a Marshall Power Brake & your problem should be solved. What did you play on before?

Comment

We have one of the Limited Randy Rhoads Full stacks at the store & it is the same way......It is incredible but when you get done playing on it, you have blood running out of both ears & the amp is only on 1-1/2 Volume Level. The funny thing is Marshall says the sweet spot is 6. The amp would blow the Frickin' roof of the building @ 6! However it sounds great.

Comment

Yep, no getting around it. Its a live and loud amp.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonpc1 View Post
                    That is like the Holy Grail of Amps!!! Get a Marshall Power Brake & your problem should be solved. What did you play on before?
                    Power brakes.... attenuators.... they are the same thing as putting a wet blanket over your speaker cabinet.

I'll tell you why.. (from much experience)
                    The 2205 is so powerful.. you really have to over attenuate it to get a killer tone at a reasonable volume level.
                    What most guys do to tame the beast is to throw a distortion pedal in front of it and dial the volume down. The problem with that is now you turned your 2205 into a 2210. Not that thats a bad thing.. but it is introducing a SS preamp circuit into your amp.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      Power brakes.... attenuators.... they are the same thing as putting a wet blanket over your speaker cabinet.

I'll tell you why.. (from much experience)
                      The 2205 is so powerful.. you really have to over attenuate it to get a killer tone at a reasonable volume level.
                      What most guys do to tame the beast is to throw a distortion pedal in front of it and dial the volume down. The problem with that is now you turned your 2205 into a 2210. Not that thats a bad thing.. but it is introducing a SS preamp circuit into your amp.
                      I agree on the attenuators, though I haven't tried one on this particular amp.

But I thought the 2205 and 2210 both have the SS gain in the preamp section - isn't it just the 50W versus 100W power section which differentiates them?

I might just get a distortion pedal or gt-6 or whatever for low volume playing - it won't sound as good but will probably be good enough to practice. Either that or just get a cheapo practice amp and leave the beast in our rehearsal space.

Comment

Could be..the tubes are prolly OK..they usually squal..micrphonic when they go bad.

You know I was kinda blown away today. I went to GC and there was a B-52 half stack for $699. I thought it was new but it was used. So, WTF I tried it ..I was suprised that fucker actually sounded that good. I went right to the mean channel and it was thick and tight with plenty 'nuff gain. It was the price that made me check it out. For a half stack that you could find for $600 bucks..I gotta say its a great bang for the buck. They been around for several years..and this one worked just fine. I didn't get it up too loud but I don't assume that wouldn't be a prob.

It could be my kid's first halfstack...we'll see. He wants a PS3..but I'd rather get something like this for him..because he sure the fuck can't barrow my Uber!!!

Sorry to get off topic..but I really was taken back..it certainly didn't sound like crap!

Comment

Someone here has that head (kmanick, maybe?) and has recorded some good clips with it

Comment

The 2205 is the 50 wt version of the 2210...which have clipping diodes and whatever. I think they sound good. BTW doesn't Rectos have..well,..rectos in them...but they sound good.

I do agree with John G..many people take the easy way out IMO. Throwing a stomp in front of expensive "high gain" all tube amp. No way I'll every do that with a Uber, 5150 Rceto and ect.. Its feasible with a non master Marshall or even an ealier 800 like an 2203. Many say stomps can "tighten up" those high gain amps. Those amps are already tight..just take the extra time and dial 'em that way, or "tighten up" your playing.

Comment

I know Fragle has a 2210 and likes it over his 5150..if I recall. I know I prefer my 2210s over the five 5150s I owned.

Comment

Working...
                              X