Question for Floyd Rose users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Floyd Rose users

Are there any disadvantages involved with running the strings backwards through the tuner and clipping at the bridge? Do the ball ends of the strings cause any problems with the tuners? Thanks!

I don't know of any disadvantages... I think it looks tacky.
    You could run the risk of damaging a tuner though with the heavier gauge strings.
    The wraps around the ball ends could mare the tuner posts.
    -Rick

Comment

agree on the look, just cut the balls off.

Seems like it'd be a pain to cut the string at the right length doing it that way to get the proper tension, some trial and error.
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
        Seems like it'd be a pain to cut the string at the right length doing it that way to get the proper tension, some trial and error.
        Some idiots actually use the whole string and don't cut it, wrapping all the excess string around the post!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

3 wraps on E, A, D and 5 to 7 wraps on the others.
          Nice and neat.
          -Rick

Comment

It looks like shit.

Comment

I string mine up this way, I like it, and it's much faster, I do 1 cut per string as opposed to 2 cuts. I attribute that to laziness.

Plus the added mass of the ball ends on the headstock promotes sustain
              And D'Addario's have all these cool different colors. If you're careful, the tuners wont have any more wear on them than doing it the other way, and a plus is that I don't inadvertantly get stabbed in the arm by the strings sticking out.
              To each their own, but I like it!
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I always thought it looked tacky. You've got the wire cutters out already; might as well do two cuts.
                Scott

Comment

I'd worry about the ball end breaking the string or simply the wraps slipping around the ball end.

I just do it the "normal" way.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                    3 wraps on E, A, D and 5 to 7 wraps on the others.
                    Nice and neat.
                    I only do 2 at the most!

On topic: i think that it looks terrible and I also worry about if the ball broke, what would happen.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                      I string mine up this way, I like it, and it's much faster, I do 1 cut per string as opposed to 2 cuts. I attribute that to laziness.

Plus the added mass of the ball ends on the headstock promotes sustain
                      And D'Addario's have all these cool different colors. If you're careful, the tuners wont have any more wear on them than doing it the other way, and a plus is that I don't inadvertantly get stabbed in the arm by the strings sticking out.
                      To each their own, but I like it!
                      Prototype correct way to post a dissenting opinion.
                      I screwed up up the quote thing or would have included rjohnstone as well.

Congrats dudes.
                      Most impressive, polite, and adult of you.
                      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                      --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronharmon View Post
                        It looks like shit.
                        ^^ This
                        Your friendly neighborhood import whore :: '08 DK2M, '08 DKMG, '03 KVX10, '94 Dinky Rev.

Comment

Also well done.
                          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                          --floydkramer

Comment

What

What could happen? It would be behind the locking nut...plus, like there's more tension there than on a string thru or Fender type trem?

I always string my Floyd's "backwards". If you break a string (and gee...it usually happens at the trem lock area) all you have to do is unwind the tuner a little, and because of the ball, you have some string "in reserve" to lock down again. No brainer to me...

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                            On topic: i think that it looks terrible and I also worry about if the ball broke, what would happen.

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
                              If you break a string (and gee...it usually happens at the trem lock area) all you have to do is unwind the tuner a little, and because of the ball, you have some string "in reserve" to lock down again. No brainer to me...
                              You still have some string in reserve if you cut off the ball and have 3-4 windings around the tuner. That is also good if you want to tune down sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X