Raised fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised fret

Hey guys just got a quick question regarding a dr3.

Seems I've got a raised fret at the 16th fret. Whenever I bend up at the 15th fret it buzzes or more correctly sounds dampened. This only happens bending at the 15th fret on the high e and b strings.
    I tested the other frets higher and lower but I only have problems in this one spot. After doing a bit of googling seems this can be a common problem in this area.

So to fix do I need to get a fret level for the whole neck or can I fix by working just on the one fret. I've tried raising the action a bit but quite frankly I don't want it too high and it's getting close to that now.

Cheers

I'm wondering this also. My Fender 5 string Jazz Bass has this exact problem on the 16th frets on the higher three strings. i shall be paying attention to this thread too.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Your 15th fret may have a small groove in it, or the string has a groove, which might make the 16th fret seem like the culprit.

It may very well be the 16th though, and you might get away w/ leveling just that one. If not, then level 16-22 (or24).
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

You need to take a very close look at the suspected fret with a magnifying glass and see if it has lifed fron the fretboard.Some times you can re-seat the fret with a small plastic hammer then bleed some thin super glue along the fret edge and clamp it.
        Now this may make it lower than the other frets fore and aft so be sure it actually has lifted.
        It will have to be leved if the fret has not lifted.Use a straight edge to check all the frets my guess is you just need a fret level.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

There doesn't appear to be any grooves in the fret. I can't really tell with the strings, but they are not that old. I haven't played the guitar that much so I can't be certain whether it was there before I changed strings. I used the same gauge so I didn't think there would be any issues there.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            You need to take a very close look at the suspected fret with a magnifying glass and see if it has lifed fron the fretboard.Some times you can re-seat the fret with a small plastic hammer then bleed some thin super glue along the fret edge and clamp it.
            Now this may make it lower than the other frets fore and aft so be sure it actually has lifted.
            It will have to be leved if the fret has not lifted.Use a straight edge to check all the frets my guess is you just need a fret level.

Ok I'll check it out.

Comment

Yeah a raised fret would definitely be an issue as well. I suppose it could be more common than I initially thought. Not sure if thats the case here or not, but anything and everything is worth looking into.
              Best of luck, hope that you figure it out.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven

Comment

Check all the frets around the suspected fret they may be the culprits.
                I would look at all the frets to make sure none had lifted. Level and recrown.
                It is possible to single out a bad fret and do some recrowning and fix the problem.
                So have a good look and see whats going on.
                Some pics would help.

Comment

I'll try and get a couple of pics posted

Comment

cool

Comment

Righto got round to posting some pics, although I'll be surprised if anyone can determine if the fret is raised cos I couldn't make out shit, and I was an inch away.

Haven't found a magnifying glass around the house yet (pretty sure there was one somewhere) but I will probably take it to guitar tech to have a look at.

Weird thing is I've got another 96 model dr3 same as this one just different colour and it's got a raised fret a fret higher(correction I just went and checked, same place on both guitars). Exactly the same type of situation. If I bend up at the 15th fret they both fret out, mostly high e and b strings. Possible production fault?

Sorry about the pics (bit blurry). My camera skills are about as good as my guitar skills

Looks like I'll be keeping the local luthier busy

Both these pics are at about the 15th fret

Comment

Thats weird that you have 2 guitar with the exact same prob. Did you by chance try raising your bridge on the treble side? (high E side)Seems that it might possibly be set too low. Of course if it is a high fret you would then just be masking the problem.
                        You could try that if you didnt already, if not then I would agree with you taking it to a tech and see what they can do.
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

Yeah it is weird. The guitar in the pic I have adjusted. It's getting to the point where I feel the action is getting to high. I'm gonna have a play around with it over the next couple of days and see how far I need to raise it, but as you say it's only masking a problem. There is a fair bit of relief on the neck but I don't really know how much it will help to straighten it a bit, but I'll give it a tweak just to see what happens.

I don't suppose hanging them on walls could cause this? They both hang on wall hangers. Just an afterthought.

Comment

if it's just the one fret, hammer that baby with a plastic hammer and see if she sits down.

Comment

I'll have to get a plastic hammer from the hardware shop. I assuming a rubber hammer will do the same job? What's a plastic hammer usually used for anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X