bent Kahler string claw (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bent Kahler string claw (?)

Weird Kahler problem here.... you know the little claws where the ball end of the strings are inserted into the kahler trem? Well one of those little claws must have been defective because one side of it started pulling away and it's now all bent to the point where the fine tuner does not work properly. So I assume I need to replace that little part. However, it seems that the part is sealed in by the metal plate that provides spring tension for the fine tuners. I don't see any way to get that thing off or to pop out the little claw piece.

Anyone know what I'm supposed to do here? The trem is otherwise in near perfect shape.

I can try to post pics if that would help.

Bert, check this out:

http://www.kahlerparts.com/Part_Page...%20change.html

Hope this helps you.
    Joe
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Awesome! Unfortunately I don't see the three philips screws after removing the fine tuners. However I do see the pin that locks the hooks in place, so I'm going to just try popping that sucker out and see if that will do the trick.

Thanks

Comment

Sweet, it worked, though mine had the "unchipped" side of the pin inset, so after trying and failing to push it out from the chipped side I gave the other side a shot and it popped out. Still no sign of those 3 philips screws though?! This trem is from 1986 so maybe the newer ones are a bit different.

Thanks again Joe!

Comment

Yeah, either that or the instructions are for a different series of Kahler than yours? I'd say thats what it is.

Anyway, that's great that it worked out for you. If you need replacement parts check out Wammi World.
          John, the guy who runs it is a nice guy and he will take care of you. Take a minute and check out his site, that's where I found the instructions. There's alot of real cool Kahler stuff on there.

http://www.wammiworld.com/

Your very much welcome buddy, never know I might need your help someday. That's what this is for right? Helping each other out.
          Have a good one, hope you get it back together! Tearing it apart is always the easy part.

Joe
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven
          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

From what I gather on that site there are two different types of Kahler pros, one from pre-1990 and one type from after. It appears that pre 1990 Kahlers have a one-piece cam whereas the newer ones have a separate cam & plate for the fine tuners, so you can easily swap out different cam types. Turns out I have a spare kahler which was "upgraded" to the new type of post-1990 cam, and indeed that one has the 3 philips screws visible when you remove the fine tuners.

You learn something new every day!

And yeah, while I was visiting that site I bought a bunch of spare parts. I've got 5 kahler trems (only 3 currently on guitars though), so I could use them!

Comment

Working...
            X