Nut Repair - 1st Fret Buzzing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut Repair - 1st Fret Buzzing

Talking old-school regular nuts, not Floyd locking nuts. I've got one with a couple slots worn a little low, causing some 1st fret buzzing. Anyone have any suggestions on what/how to add some material to the existing slots instead of replacing the entire nut ?

I've used Super Glue before. It can take some time and you must be very careful but it can be done. Sometimes it takes a few coats to build up the slot.

Either that or you can use a paper "shim" under the string at the nut. It works but it also effects the vibration of the string.
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Dab of super glue, and various grits of sandpaper has worked for me many times. Especially considering I'm a lefty, so I'm always hackin' at something on a guitar

Good luck bro
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Any tips on how to get super glue into a little E or B slot without getting it all over the rest of the nut?

Comment

Either be prepared to wipe it up quickly, or use masking tape or something to mask it.

Actually, I use a tooth pick to apply mine. Put the glue on the tooth pick instead, cause it's easier to control the flow.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
            Either be prepared to wipe it up quickly, or use masking tape or something to mask it.

Actually, I use a tooth pick to apply mine. Put the glue on the tooth pick instead, cause it's easier to control the flow.
            Thank you very much, makes perfect sense. Super glue, masking tape and toothpics. I'm on it.

Comment

Yep, I use a toothpick too. Takes some geting use to but it works pretty well.

I would assume a needle would do the same thing but maybe have a smaller shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                Yep, I use a toothpick too. Takes some getting use to but it works pretty well.......(smaller shaft).
                Couldn't resist!
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven

Comment

Maybe I missed it, but did you mention what the nut was made from? Most of my nuts (minus the ones between my legs) are bone. My tech showed me how to take a bone blank and make "bone dust" which can be glued into the slot. I've only done it twice, but it worked well both times.
                  "POOP"

Comment

to that point, if you have a graphite nut, take a pencil to some sandpaper.
                    drop a little of the graphite into the slot.
                    hit it with some water thin super glue.
                    then hit that with some accelerator.

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                      Couldn't resist!
                      Now "shaft" is a word that can't be used here? HA!

OK. I'm adding it to the list.

Comment

I may have to employ one of these techniques on my Strat. I way over-filed the nut. So all you need is super glue and an application device?
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,
                        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Ben,
                          That and a steady hand.

Comment

and some glue accelerator - you can get it at hobby lobby. it kicks ass.
                            now that i think of it, you can get super glue, along with very fine applicator tips to go on the super glue bottle as well.

sully
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                            X