Drop D on a Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop D on a Floyd Rose

I have a simple question: without any aftermarket parts installed, how do I tune my SL2H to Drop D tuning?
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Tune the string to E but keep your fine tuner all the way down. When you want to go to D, loosen the fine tuner.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Joe, That only works if you have the trem blocked to dive only.
      -Rick

Comment

It may be a tiny bit flat due to the nature of the floating trem, but it'll work.

Comment

I tried the fine tuner idea. It worked on the low E string of course, but it knocked the other strings way out beyond the fine tuner's range after having to retune all the strings.
          -
          Eventually, what I did was really simple: I just tuned the string to D, while keeping the others in standard tuning (with the nut unlocked). After I had it in DADGBE, I just locked and did a couple cents-worth of fine tuning. I just played through a couple full songs, and the tuning has remained DEAD (or DAD(gbe)) accurate!

Comment

So... you, uh, re-tuned it??

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
              I tried the fine tuner idea. It worked on the low E string of course, but it knocked the other strings way out beyond the fine tuner's range after having to retune all the strings.
              -
              Eventually, what I did was really simple: I just tuned the string to D, while keeping the others in standard tuning (with the nut unlocked). After I had it in DADGBE, I just locked and did a couple cents-worth of fine tuning. I just played through a couple full songs, and the tuning has remained DEAD (or DAD(gbe)) accurate!
              Yeah, that's the easiest way. You didn't specify if you just wanted it in Drop D or you wanted to be able to go back and forth between standard and Drop D.

Comment

^Oh, you're right. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
                  So... you, uh, re-tuned it??

funny Kiwi, make me laugh
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...