X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVOID Keith Holland's Guitar Hospital in Los Gatos, California

Keith Holland Guitar Hospital in Los Gatos, CA is HORRIBLE

Dear JCF Online users,

Recently I bought a sparkling used (but new to the core) RG2550 at a local shop. The guitar was new but the frets definitely needed to be leveled. My first mistake was taking my guitar to Guitar Hospital in Los Gatos, California. Owned but not operated by Keith Holland.

Absolutely DO NOT GO to Guitar Hospital. Keith Holland is an inconsiderate, demeaning, stuck-up luthier who DOESN'T WORK ON THE GUITARS. He has teenagers working a summer job do things that cost people FORTUNES. I came back to the store after the work was done on my guitar and he demeaned me and said I didn't know how to play guitar. I went to other luthiers to make sure I wasn't insane and they agreed with me that the frets needed work and many of them weren't level. I came back a second time complaining about the poor worksmanship on the repair. He threatened to call 911 if I didn't leave his store because I kept showing him what was wrong with the guitar. I know my guitar repair stuff, and showing Mr. Holland the problems with my guitar, after he had some 16 year old take a giant metal file to my frets, earned me a trip out of his shop. I used his horrible tool to easily show him a high fret, "hear that click mr. holland as I press down on this side?!?!?!" Also, they orginally misquoted the price of the repair and called me a week later with a $50 markup. I was FINE with it and said "as long as the guitar is perfect!" Too bad the guitar came back worse than it went in.

AVOID GUITAR HOSPITAL AT ALL COSTS. Please, I am a 100% honest, considerate and understanding person. I had the absolute worst experience I've ever had in ANY store. Keith Holland took NO responsibility for the work done in his shop and had NO knowledge of true guitar repair. He doesn't even have the necessary straight edge rulers to work on the frets of a guitar.

I pray that this post makes someone avoid this shop. Remember, Keith Holland DOES NOT WORK on the guitars that are in for repair. He sits in the back building his own bad guitars to sell out front and lets horribly inexperienced teenagers do all the guitar repair work on your priceless guitar.

I can complain about more specific things via PM.

Thanks for reading this guys! You reading this is the closest I can come to getting a refund from this prick! I am posting this in every forum I read!

PS. If this is the wrong forum section for this, lemme know, thanks.

If I'm you, I document everything (with pics!) and call the credit card company to stop payment to him - easy shmeesy - and let it die. He shouldn't contest it if what you say is true.

If you paid cash (I really hope not), again, make sure you document everything, have another shop do the work properly, and also get a written affidavit from them describing the problems on the guitar and why they had to fix the previous guys work.

March to your local court and fill out the paperwork for a small claims case for the monies paid, the cost of getting his "repair" work fixed, as well as all your costs (mileage, time off work, etc.).

If everything is as you say, you shouldn't have a hard time winning...
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

damn I used a debit card and it is already deducted from my account, I'm going to call them anyways and say I never received the goods I payed for. All i had to do was grab the silver or green colored card from my wallet instead of the gold one I will document the problems with this next luthier as he does the repairs and hopefully I will file a claim.
      Last edited by Foulacy; 09-05-2008, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
        damn I used a debit card and it is already deducted from my account, I'm going to call them anyways and say I never received the goods I payed for. All i had to do was grab the silver or green colored card from my wallet instead of the gold one I will document the problems with this next luthier as he does the repairs and hopefully I will file a claim.
        Due to law, all debit cards carry the SAME protection as credit cards do. Call your bank and discuss it with them.
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

a thread at jemsite has the goods on this one fellas

Comment

That really sucks. Good to know though. I'll be avoiding that place like the plague!

Comment

Nothing worthwhile in LG anyway but stuck up rich folk. That town sucks period.
              07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

Working...
              X