Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking pickup output to verify wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking pickup output to verify wiring?

I just swapped out the pups in my Dinky and since this is my first attempt at a rewire, I'd like to verify my work. Background info that leads me to the question: Original pups were Jackson's with active circuitry, hum/single...new ones are Dimarzio D-sonic in bridge and Dimarzio Air Norton S in the neck spot. Three way blade switch wired for bridge/two center coils in parallel/neck. All of the old wiring and pots/switches were removed and I started with all new everything, except the ground wires that run from the pickup routes and the trem ground. When I first tested it they sounded thin and weak so I went back and checked the schematic and found that I had missed the jumper wire that goes from one side of the switch to the other. Adding it made no difference. The more I thought about it, I don't think I should have gotten any sound at all from the bridge pickup without that wire (correct?). I have since redone about 50% of the solder joints (I was skeptical about the ground attachments at the volume pot) and they sound better but I still wonder if I'm getting the whole enchilada as far as output. Can I check this with a multimeter? I expected more grunt from the D-Sonic. It is quite possible that I just need to adjust to the new tone, and make adjustments to my amp settings, but before I do that I'd like to know that I did a good wiring job. I'll post the schematic in a few.
    Last edited by Balrog; 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM.
    Mike
    ---------
    1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
    Dean EVO "Special Select"
    Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
    Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Pickup height is very important. Also, the active pups should have come with a stereo output jack. It shouldn't make a difference, but if you are anal you should put a mono output jack in there for passive pups.

Comment

Thanks for the input axe, I did that, the cavity was empty except the ground wires form the pickup cavities and the trem claw ground wire, and the small strip of factory copper tape running under the pots. The cavities have the spray on shielding paint.
      Mike
      ---------
      1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
      Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
      Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Fwiw...they originally sounded as though there was a coil cut when the two pickups where on individually.
        Mike
        ---------
        1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
        Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
        Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Mike
          ---------
          1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
          Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
          Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

You might have wired up the coil split wires instead of the regular output wires. I don't know Dimarzio's color coding, but I did that to my JB the first time I put it in. What a difference switching the wires made!
            Scott

Comment

I thought the same thing at first, but I've checked and re-checked and everything seems correct. I'd post a pic of the wiring, but I'm not sure anyone will be able to see much, it's a tough shot to take clearly to tell what is going where. They only variance's from the schematic is that I used a .047uF capacitor on the tone pot (Radioshack was out of .022mF) and that the switch tabs on my switch (SwitchCraft) are offset to the one in the schematic. Though I'm confident that it works the same way by looking at the mechanism.
              Mike
              ---------
              1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
              Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
              Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                You might have wired up the coil split wires instead of the regular output wires. I don't know Dimarzio's color coding, but I did that to my JB the first time I put it in. What a difference switching the wires made!
                +1 Different manufacturers use different colors for the hot... makes a world of difference
                Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Custom Classic
                Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton sig
                Fender Telecaster Standard MM
                Jackson Dinky DKMGT
                Jackson Stealth EX
                Charvel 375
                Ibanez Daytripper
                OLP Musicman
                Carvin C250

Mesa 5:50 Express
                Sonic 4 x 12

Comment

I'm kinda' assuming that the schematic posted above is correct, it's right from Dimarzio...
                  Mike
                  ---------
                  1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
                  Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
                  Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Working...
                  X