Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any emg fans with an 18volt mod ?

Any emg fans with an 18volt mod ?

I've heard a couple of conflicting viewpoints , I'm still thinking about giving it a go(shitty thing is I'll have to route out control cavity or route for battery box)

So is it worth it?
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

There are plenty of threads on this subject. Search the forums for 18 Volt.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I have it its worth it i didnt have to soute anything just solder a couple of wires and it sounds mo betta
      ///MK
      http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

I got it.

Depends on the guitar. If it's a knocker/player, I say go for it and route away.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

No big whoop. But EMG's just don't do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
            Napalm, you are correct sir, I did a search for 18v and found more then enough info and opinions to answer any question that I would have.
            Almost every thread was the same old, but some had interesting content in them.
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven
            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post

Hey thanks for the tip ; I did try that -but
              1)the results were very varied ,I didn't want to spend hours sifting
              and also
              2)I'd like to tittyfuck vpilf palin
              but more importantly
              3)I like to talk about guitars ,I thought I was in the right place ?And you guys also liked to talk about guitars ?however I understaand if you're tired of discussing re-hashed stuff !
              Anyone who wants to provide feedback on this issue is welcome............
              And let me 1up it with this.........
              is the afterburner worth installing ........best results with or without 18volt mod ?

Comment

after burner or pa2 - or waste of time ?

Comment

Ok. I gave my KS2 Kelly Star another whirl. EMG85 neck, 81 bridge, and SPC mid boost, 9 volts (ran out of space).

I get a very good Metallica tone (RTL, MOP). The SPC sounds like a wha and can add some interesting effects.

I think this is why I'm so-so on EMGs. They just don't feel as dynamic as passives. When you hit a passive hard, it hits the amp hard. Hit is soft, it plays soft.

EMGs seem (to me) compressed. They have high output that sustains a long time, great palm muting, but they just don't seem as dynamic as passives.

Still, I think everyone should have one EMG loaded axe in their arsnel, but I'm not going to go overboard on them.

I'll get out my 18 volt EMG81 / EMG-S Fusion Deluxe tomorrow to see how that compares. Ok I went and tried it now. It sounds good - no doubt about it. For playing old school Metallica, nothing does it better. Maybe the 18 volts gives it a wider dynamic range.

Comment

cool overall I'm hearing it's worth it !!I'm gonna route !!Now DonP says the SPC (wouldn't this clip the signal ? I guess in a good way)and isn't the pa2 (or afterburner)just a preamp boost ?or am I misunderstanding?

And is it possible to run with both ?
                    Last edited by Jayster; 09-02-2008, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I have EMG's in my snaleskin WR1 and I really like 'em for drop tuned stuff. I have the 18v mod wired with a mini series/paralell switch. That way I can switch between 9v and 18v depending on what sound I want.
                      I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Hawk View Post
                        I have EMG's in my snaleskin WR1 and I really like 'em for drop tuned stuff. I have the 18v mod wired with a mini series/paralell switch. That way I can switch between 9v and 18v depending on what sound I want.
                        Is that 9v to 18v switch easy to do? I have a 18V mod in place and a unused toggle switch in the guitar? Could you give me some pointers or a diagram perhaps?

Thanks!!
                        http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                          cool overall I'm hearing it's worth it !!I'm gonna route !!Now DonP says the SPC (wouldn't this clip the signal ? I guess in a good way)and isn't the pa2 (or afterburner)just a preamp boost ?or am I misunderstanding?

And is it possible to run with both ?
                          Yes, you can run both.

I think the SPC is a mid boost, and the PA2 is just a volume boost, but I'm not 100% sure.

Why would it clip the signal? EMG designs all their stuff to work together. Mine doesn't clip.

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                            Is that 9v to 18v switch easy to do? I have a 18V mod in place and a unused toggle switch in the guitar? Could you give me some pointers or a diagram perhaps?

Thanks!!
                            I had my tech do it a few weeks ago. I haven't even looked at how the wiring is done. I'll check it out in the next few days and post a picture.
                            I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

I imagine you could just wire in a switch that either connects the second battery or doesn't.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X