Baritone Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baritone Guitars

After reading another thread about down tuning, and thick string guages, I started to look into he whole subject of downtuning and stuff like that.
    I have a few questions about Baritone guitars:

1.) What is the reasoning behind them?
    2.) Are they basically a long scale guitar, that is more suitable for thick string guages, and tuning down?
    3.) What are they normally tuned at?
    4.) Are they just an alternative to owning a 7 string guitar?
    5.) What is the scale length of the baritones?
    6.) And finally, Jackson has never made one, correct?

Sorry for all of the questions guys, but I really don't know much about them. I've never owned one, and never been around one in person. Do any of you guys own a baritone? (here's another question..)

7.) How would you say they compare to either a down tuned 6 string (25.5"), or a 7 string in terms of feel and sound?

Thanks alot guys!
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

#6 -

Originally posted by toejam
    The DK-27 was first available in 2002 with those EMG HZs, then later on was given DiMarzios and then discontinued.
    http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=50&pos=8
    http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=49&pos=40
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Thanks for answering that question for me! And you know what, I even have that catalog right beside me, and didn't even know that was in there!
      Thanks man!

*edit: I'm guessing that the model number 'DK27' means that it's a 27" scale? If so, is that the scale length of all baritones?
      Last edited by metalchurch79; 08-31-2008, 07:20 AM.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven

Comment

1. They were to reinforce the bass when they used stand up basses in the 50s. Also I think Duane Eddy used them for solo's with extra twang. 2. Yes 3. B a 4th down/A a 5th down or a whole octave. 4. They were around decades before 7 strings. 5. 261/2, 27,28,285/8, 291/4, 293/4, 30 inches it depends on the manufacturer. 7 They would play more in tune because of the longer scale.

Comment

I think jayster and jtr answered most of your questions, but I've a few additional comments. There's nothing to stop you having a baritone 7 string. I have a Japanese market RG7 that has a 27" scale. It comes from the factory tuned one step down ADGCFAD. With light strings (9s) there's good string tension at that tuning.

When playing, the longer scale is noticable in two ways: long stretches near the nut and more space for your fingers near the pickups. I don't notice any significant problems in moving back and forth from that to a 25.5" scale 7 or 6 string. It's just different.

A fair number of the current range of Schecters have a 26 1/2" scale, so if you can find a store that stocks Schecters, you should be able to try one out. E.g. Loomis, Hellraiser 7, Baritone Blackjack. I'd recommend giving the longer scale a go. Particuarly enjoyable if you like chugging away on the lower strings...

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone! I really didn't know much about them, and I never would have guessed that they were around for that long.
            I can't believe that there are seven different scale lengths offered on them:
            26.5"
            27"
            28"
            28-5/8"
            29-1/4"
            29-3/4"
            30"
            So it seems that there's a bunch to choose from. I couldn't image the low end that you'd get from these beasts, especially a 7 string baritone! Holy shit!
            I'd imagine that baritones would be good for Fear Factory and Meshuggah type bands.

A baritone King V would be pretty cool to have, or a 7 string King V. I saw a 7 string Rhoads once on ebay, not sure if it was a custom or a production model? But that would be the perfect donor guitar for a KV 7 string project.

I'm getting all kinds of good ideas for winter projects!
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven

Comment

Working...
            X