Guitar Painting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Painting?

What's the correct method for painting a guitar?

Spray Paint? Airbrush? Other? What produces the best result?

I'm thinking about having my Model 6 customized. I want a cool paint job and some Dimarzios.
    Also, do you guys think a Camo would look ok on a Model 6?
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
    13' Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro ii - Alpine White
    05' Gibson Les Paul Classic - Ebony
    USA Jackson SL-2
    USA Jackson SL-1
    Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
    Marshall 1965A 4x10
    Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Just get in touch with Mike Learn... he has cool ideas, and you won't regret a dollar you spend with him.

In fact, I dare say, you'll have a work of art when you are done, and you will LOVE it.

That being said, I think this is really cool looking:

Last time I was in contact with Dino, he wasn't getting taking any new orders... too busy... get in line kinda thing.
    That may have changed.
    Cool idea though... wouldn't you agree? (Eddie stripes over camo).

Last edited by nhspike; 08-30-2008, 04:43 PM.
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

You can achieve a good finish with all of the options that you mentioned.
      I would say a spray gun, and an air compressor will give you the best and results.

I'm looking to get an air brush also, and that is more than adequate to spray a guitar body.

Spray cans will work, but be careful of the paint that you buy. I would try to stay with laquer based paints, as they dry with a harder finish, and dry faster in my opinion. Some acrylic enamels say that they dry to the touch in say 15 minutes, but that's only the surface layer. Paint dries from the first layer out, not outside in.

With time and patience, you can get good results every time, no matter what medium you are using.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
        Just get in touch with Mike Learn... he has cool ideas, and you won't regret a dollar you spend with him.

In fact, I dare say, you'll have a work of art when you are done, and you will LOVE it.

That being said, I think this is really cool looking:

Last time I was in contact with Dino, he wasn't getting taking any new orders... too busy... get in line kinda thing.
        That may have changed.
        Cool idea though... wouldn't you agree? (Eddie stripes over camo).

That is Badass!!
        USA Jackson SL-2
        USA Jackson SL-1
        Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
        Marshall 1965A 4x10
        Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

http://www.reranch.com/

Check these guys out, I re painted my Charvel at one point with nitrocellulose lacquer, but if you don't have patience, I don't recommend doing it yourself. It takes about 30 days of final dry time before you can start rubbing it out but the results are very nice. I've since modded the guitar and had to repaint it and just went ahead and used plain old enamel.
          Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Custom Classic
          Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton sig
          Fender Telecaster Standard MM
          Jackson Dinky DKMGT
          Jackson Stealth EX
          Charvel 375
          Ibanez Daytripper
          OLP Musicman
          Carvin C250

Mesa 5:50 Express
          Sonic 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Skully View Post
            http://www.reranch.com/

Check these guys out, I re painted my Charvel at one point with nitrocellulose lacquer, but if you don't have patience, I don't recommend doing it yourself. It takes about 30 days of final dry time before you can start rubbing it out but the results are very nice. I've since modded the guitar and had to repaint it and just went ahead and used plain old enamel.

Hey Skully!! How you been man?

I don't plan on doing the work myself as I definately do not have the patience for it. I've been seeing an ad on Craigslist lately for a guy that does Airbrushing. The picks of the bikes and stuff he's done looked looked badass, but I wasn't sure if airbrushing was the best way to paint a guitar. I definately want to have the Model 6 painted fairly soon. I just have to decide what I want to have done.
            I may keep it a solid color, maybe Camo or posibbly even some killer graphic art. I just dunno yet...
            USA Jackson SL-2
            USA Jackson SL-1
            Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
            Marshall 1965A 4x10
            Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Like stated before check out Mike Learn he's great to deal with and will do it right.

Comment

You are in for a very rough time if you try and paint an entire guitar with an airbrush. You just don't get fine enough atomization to get a nice smooth finish, and it takes for ever because of the 1 oz. or 1/2 oz. jar. When I paint bodies it is anywhere from 1.5 to 2 oz. per coat to get a nice flow out. If you don't want to pay the expense of Mike Learn, talk to custom body shops. They can do graphics for you and spray the clear as well. You'll get the good quality 2-part poly finish which will hold up the best. But the cost will be quite a bit more. I would guess minimum of $100, that poly is expensive.

Comment

I'd post a pic of my first refin, but it isn't great (could not get the lacquer to shine up) but it still looks fairly nice. I used automotive paint, acyrlic based. I took a long time though and really, I'd probably pay someone to do it better if I needed to refin again.
                  http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                    I'd post a pic of my first refin, but it isn't great (could not get the lacquer to shine up) but it still looks fairly nice. I used automotive paint, acyrlic based. I took a long time though and really, I'd probably pay someone to do it better if I needed to refin again.
                    If it's just that it isn't shining up, shoot it with a few more coats of clear, then use wet/dry sandpaper, rubbing compound, then polish.

Comment

Well, it's semi shiny...

But not mega shiny. I did use compound, but I think I need some 3M fine compound too...I had bought a generic one. I lacked the right materials to polishit up really. I went to 2000 then compound and then Meguiars Scratch X. I did a rush job cause I was kind of sick of it sitting there...

Comment

aaahhh, the old Fender HM Strat. I have one in bubblegum pink.

Doesn't look too bad to me.

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                          But not mega shiny. I did use compound, but I think I need some 3M fine compound too...I had bought a generic one. I lacked the right materials to polishit up really. I went to 2000 then compound and then Meguiars Scratch X. I did a rush job cause I was kind of sick of it sitting there...
                          I had a non-shiny one once. I don't have a fancy buffer so I tried a relatively inexpensive orbital sander with a polishing pad and 3M compound and it took out the surface scratches and shined right up.

Still ... the non shiny is not a bad thing necessarily. It gives it its own unique vibe.
                          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                            aaahhh, the old Fender HM Strat. I have one in bubblegum pink.

Doesn't look too bad to me.
                            Yes, I luvs my HM...I got three actually...

One used to be pink, but got resprayed by someone else to glitter silver.

I have a cheap orbital buffer I bought...but the compounds cost about £25...3M perfect It Fine and so on...pretty pricey...!! So I didn't get em...

Comment

axetogrind, I have a good friend who is a great artist, does a lot of custom paint work on motorcycles etc. (actually he'll paint anything that will stand still long enough)...too bad he's up here in Michigan . Good luck with the project, camo would look cool if done right.

wanthairspray...I think the finish on that looks nice with kind of a satin effect!
                              Mike
                              ---------
                              1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
                              Dean EVO "Special Select"
                              Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
                              Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Working...
                              X