Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Blackouts

I have a few questions regarding the Duncan Blackouts before I go and buy one.

#1. What's the difference between the AHB-1 and the AHB-2?

#2. There was something on the Duncan site about jumping the pins on the quik connect to get more output from the AHB-2's, has anyone done that?

#3. Would that mod to the AHB-2's be comparable to a stock EMG'81, or an '81 with an After Burner?

#4. Some say that they prefer an '85 in the bridge, and an '81 in the neck. Would an AHB-1N and an AHB-1B compare to that?

#5. Same as question 4, but with an AHB-2N and AHB-2B.

I only use 1 humbucker in my guitars (EMG'81), so I am only looking to buy 1 pickup, just trying to narrow it down.
    One + is that I'm currently running an '81 in this guitar, and the Blackouts use the same quik connect, so it will be an easy swap.

*ps never tried an '85 in the bridge, so that may be a good first option, what do you guys think? (I have an ad on another forum loking to trade my '81 for an '85, so hopefully I find one, so atleast I can try #4.)

Thanks alot guys! I'm sure atleast one person on here has tried one or more of these combo's already?!!
    Last edited by metalchurch79; 08-27-2008, 12:50 AM.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

I don't know about the wiring thing but I have tried both the 81 and 85 in the bridge in a washburn x50. Mahogany body maple cap. My favorite combo.
    My blackout in my sandimas charvel standard smokes both.

Comment

1. They're 2 totally different PuPs. The 1's are SD's answer to making a better EMG 81/85. And to my ears they suceeded! The Black Out bridge has more low end than the 81, more dynamics, and is hotter. The 2's on the other hand are an upgraded version of the Live Wire Heavy Metal set. Supposedly insanely hot and unuseable for anything but molten metal.

2. On the back of the 2 (and the BO single coils) there's a small 2 pin prong that comes from the factory jumpered. When jumpered, its at its hottest. When un-jumped, its a little less hot. I have a BO single coil, and I'm wiring the jumper to a mini switch, so that I can go back and forth between the 2 settings.

3. EMG 81 w/afterburner

4. Yes. I found the 1 bridge to be too hot for my taste, and too "ceramic-ie". The 1 neck is fabulous. Thick, grindy, yet still articulate. I'm in the process of installing a AHB-1 neck in the bridge of my Soloist, and a BO single coil in the neck.

5. I understand both AHB-2 bridge and neck to be insanely hot...but I have no experience with them.

I am also going to A/B the EMG 85 with the AHB-1 neck to see which I like in the bridge spot. Hopefully that will be accomplished over the long Labor Day weekend.

HTH

Comment

mustaine-who?, thanks for answering my questions, that really helped me out alot.

I saw a reference to the Live Wires in the AHB-2 description, and I found that odd and out of place at first. I did not know that the AHB-2's were based on the Live Wires, now it makes sense.

I think I may just go with the AHB-1N in the bridge like you are. That sounds like just the thing I'm looking for. But I'd love to try an '85 in the bridge also. Hopefully someone trades me, then I could try the 85 and also buy an AHB-1N.
        Choices, choices.

Thanks bro!
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven

Comment

I might be interested in these. The EMG's in my DK1 are very muddy and boomy. If I put these blackouts in, would I need to change the pots too?
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I thought blackouts were made to be a direct swap out for emgs including the quick connect cable. I have never pulled my blackout out of my charvel to check though.

Comment

Nope

Nope...they both use the same value pots...just swap the pups...and if they're quick connects...just un-plug and re-plug...

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
              I might be interested in these. The EMG's in my DK1 are very muddy and boomy. If I put these blackouts in, would I need to change the pots too?

Comment

Like mustaine-who? I prefer the ABH-1N in the bridge, the B is a little to high out put for me. I have two ABH-1N's in my King V
                The ABH-1N is very similar to the 85 but more organic, a little less compressed sounding to me.
                Last edited by themisfit138; 10-04-2008, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks fo rthe input, I was waiting to hear if someone used the 1-N in the bridge or not.
                  Thanks
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven

Comment

Working...
                  X