Springs resonating at C#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs resonating at C#

It's annoying as hell, but my springs in my trem are resonating at C#. Once they are triggered, they do it for a number seconds. The effect is like a Sustainor, but I don't want that, at least not all the time.

I pulled the back off, it still does it, and it's the springs. Why? I've had strats before, but nothing like this soloist. Is this common a floyd?

I'm not sure if it's common, it might be, that's possible.
    I had the same thing happen to me, but it was after I would do a fast stop, or a palm mute.

I took cotton swabs,(or is it cotton balls?) the kind that your wife or girlfriend uses to put between her toes to paint them.

Anyway, I took the cotton swabs and stuffed them inside of my springs, and that dampened them, but yet it doesn't prohibit movement or 'return to zero'
    You can do this without removing the springs, but it might take some fenangling to jam it in there.
    Last edited by metalchurch79; 08-27-2008, 12:47 AM.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

It's common. I usually put a thin piece of foam (like comes in the box with EMG pickups) on top of the Floyd springs before putting the cover back on. Though, I only tune to E, Eb or D. I've heard of people using tissue paper or pipe cleaners to also help.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[quote=metalchurch79;1140003]

Anyway, I took the cotton swabs and stuffed them inside of my springs, and that dampened them, but yet it doesn't prohibit movement or 'return to zero'
        quote]

how long have you used them? it seems like they would at some point get in between the coils when divebombing.

Comment

Well then, this major sucks. What does Jackson say about it? I would think stuffing stuff like cotton balls in the springs is going to get in the coils at some point, and hamper the tremolo returning to zero. How about using a tremono or tremsetter?

Mine is really severe, not like a strat type reverberation, it's a very loud resonant note that rings out, like a bell.

After much tweaking I now have the guitar setup perfect, so I am actually playing it all the time. If not for this, I would say my USA Soloist is perfect.

Comment

you probably already did this, but have you checked your springs to make sure theyre seated properly?

Comment

I've used this method for quite a few years, and it does work.
              A few tiny fibers of cotton is not going to affect the springs at all. Those fibers are a non issue. I could see if it was a big wad of cotton sticking out. And yes, I dive bomb also. The cotton stays put, and even when dive bombing, the springs don't open wide enough to allow the cotton to protrude.
              Try it out, it's cheap and easy.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven

Comment

I'll hafta try the cotton ball thing (swabs are cotton balls on a stick, fyi).

I've been using a cleaning cloth for eyeglasses threaded through the 3 springs, or as Toejam said, some pickup foam, but I tuck it behind the springs against the body (I leave my covers off).
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  It's common. I usually put a thin piece of foam (like comes in the box with EMG pickups) on top of the Floyd springs before putting the cover back on. Though, I only tune to E, Eb or D. I've heard of people using tissue paper or pipe cleaners to also help.
                  I use the foam like Joe, except I squeeze the thin piece of foam between the cavity and the springs.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Yeah I checked, it was cotton balls, sorry.

I just take one and pull it apart gently, if you pull it too far it will tear, and then roll it between my hands to elongate it to the shape of the springs.
                    You can insert it with a small 2mm allen wrench with the springs attached, but I found that you can achieve a cleaner look by removing the springs, like during your next string change would be a good time.

Now keep in mind that you don't wanna pack the cotton in super tight, just enough cotton for a snug fit that will stay put..
                    When ,it provides a clean look and is virtually unnoticeable. I also leave the trem cover off of my guitars. (I leave the truss covers off also)

Never tried the foam between the body and springs, that is a good idea also.
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven

Comment

I have seen people put little pieces of rubber tubing inside the springs as well. Just cut it to the length of the spring and push it in.
                      Gibson SG Standard
                      Jackson DK2M Dinky
                      Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
                      Roland Micro Cube
                      Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

Originally posted by Dinky93 View Post
                        I have seen people put little pieces of rubber tubing inside the springs as well. Just cut it to the length of the spring and push it in.
                        I know guys who have done that also,and it does work.
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

Working...
                        X