Creaking Noise at the Headstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creaking Noise at the Headstock

I've noticed my Jackson makes a creaking noise at the headstock whenever I adjust the tuning of the strigns (IE move them)... tried graphite in the nut, made sure I'm stringing right, made sure there are no snags at the tuners or nut, but I just can't figure it out. Another odd issues is there are a lot of odd harmonic "overtones" and excess noise in there area kind of kept in check by the hairband that is often in place. Is it because the nut is wearing? Should I have it adjusted/replaced (would have a pro do it right)?

are you sure the nut's not loose?

Comment

Sounds like the nut itself could be loose like Jsutt said. Loosen the strings and check the moutnign screws to make sure they are tight and not stripped out. Which will make the nut creak and move. Does it do it when the trem is used also? If not it could just be a burr on the nut some where. Look at it with a magnifying lens and make sure.
      Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
        Sounds like the nut itself could be loose like Jsutt said. Loosen the strings and check the moutnign screws to make sure they are tight and not stripped out. Which will make the nut creak and move. Does it do it when the trem is used also? If not it could just be a burr on the nut some where. Look at it with a magnifying lens and make sure.
        Gil
        No trem on it or locking nut, should of mentioned that. Now that you say it, my Charvel's old nut could do that and an adjustment fixed it. But I guess it could also be loose (ie glue coming undone?). It also could explain why my B-string hasn't felt quite right for some reason (kind of loose feeling). guess it also won't hurt to check the tuners.

Comment

It might be something simple like re glueing the nut,that's kinda what it sounds like to me.You might want to check that the tuners aren't loose too.

Comment

Working...
          X