Clunky JT590

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunky JT590

I've got a Predator with a JT590 trem, and there is an issue. There was originally the slightest bit of looseness to the tremolo arm, so it had a kind of clunky feel. Thinking this was an easy fix, I ordered a replacement arm from Stew Mac. These are branded as Schaller and are visually identical to the one that was on there.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...g_Tremolo.html

I installed the new bushing tightly onto the trem plate and put the new arm in, tightened the collar, and to my horror, the exact same loose, clunky feel was still there. I can clearly feel the arm freely move back and forth slightly before it engages the trem. None of my other Floyds have this issue. Halp!

My JT580LP on my DK2 is like this once in a while also. It's weird but I've kinda gotten used to it. Hopefully their is a way to fix it. I would appreciate and answer also.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

The arm on my Predator is only clunky if I haven't gotten it tight enough. Give it another quarter turn.

Or maybe something is blocking the threads?
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        The arm on my Predator is only clunky if I haven't gotten it tight enough. Give it another quarter turn.

Or maybe something is blocking the threads?
        I've got the collar piece tightened down to where the stiffness of the arm is where I like it: not too stiff, not too loose.

Comment

Same thing for me:I've the JT-590 and the OFR, both units have the same feeling...

It's possible that something's wrong with the thread and that is the piece to replace...
          '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
          '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
          '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
          '92 Fender Strat scallop
          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
          '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            I've got the collar piece tightened down to where the stiffness of the arm is where I like it: not too stiff, not too loose.
            The design of the arm makes it wobbly unless it's tightened the whole way. Maybe try adding some oil to make it looser?
            Scott

Comment

I think something's definitely up with the threads in mine. I usually tighten it as much as possible but after about 3 dives it loosens up to about half. I've never really thought about it until now, I think I'm gonna do some investigating...
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I just put a new schaller in my predator and love it. Its got a consistent feel to it with none of the play in the trem arm that you guys seem to be experiencing. Personally I think it's a much higher quality unit than the the 580s and 580lps. I've never used a 590 though so I cant comment on it.

-Steve
                Guitars:
                '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
                  I just put a new schaller in my predator and love it. Its got a consistent feel to it with none of the play in the trem arm that you guys seem to be experiencing. Personally I think it's a much higher quality unit than the the 580s and 580lps. I've never used a 590 though so I cant comment on it.

-Steve
                  Oh it definitely is. I don't really care if mine's messed up because I use it probably twice a year, I'm currently searching for some stuff to make blocks out of right now for my Floyd.
                  "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Damn this doesn't look to be fixable. I tried a little WD-40, no dice. It seems the bar itself doesn't make a very tight fit into the bushing. Damn!

Comment

Working...
                    X