Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

midi/rack suggestions for new rig build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• midi/rack suggestions for new rig build?

hey guys,
    so I'm now owner of the Diezel Herbert which you know has midi switching, so I'm looking at my options on how to set up a simple, "less-is-more" style setup with it.
    If I decide to ditch the Blackmore for good in favor of the Herbie, I need to change my setup a bit.
    I play in two bands, one cover and one original, and I haven't used any midi switching or big fancy effects previously. I have 4 stomp effects (chorus, flange, phase and delay) + wah, noisegate and tuner.

I would like a rig that is simple to set up and use, I don't need boatloads of versatility.
    I'm used to doing 2-3 steps on the stomp boxes when doing leads etc. but obviously the ability to do only one is a definite advantage. (more playing, less dancing )
    I'm a little put off by the various midi controllers that has 10-30 separate switches, as I feel this is a bit like bringing a nuclear warhead to a gunfight if you know what I mean
    I've been looking into Axess Electronics' stuff, and their small 3-switch MFC5 is appealing both price and design wise.
    I've been thinking of getting a MFC5 first, and use it solely for channel switching the Herbert, then if I want to take it a step further I can get the FX4 loop switcher, and then set up each of my 4 stomp effects on a designated loop for each of them, giving full flexibility on whether I want to call up a single effect, or any combination.

I would also need to get a flightcase for the Herbert, so that's when I started thinking of getting a live in amp head rack with maybe 4U space above, so I could have a power conditioner, ISP noisegate (really want to try the 'prorackG in the effects loop trick') and also some room for the FX4 switcher and stomp pedals/pedalpower unit

Then I could simply have the MFC5, tuner, and wah-wah on my pedalboard. Less clutter, and better functionality.
    Obviously the rack setup is more expensive but also more pro inspired and assumingly better sounding too!

Does it sound like I'm on the right track here?
    Do you seasoned live players (Pete, John, and the rest ) have any suggestions/pitfalls etc.?
    I'm pretty happy with what I've got, but with the Diezel being MIDI I have to enter this new untrodden territory without losing my sanity and/or life savings!
    Thanks for sharing your experiences

- Rune

Not sure why you'd need a MIDI switcher for just the CH, FL, PH, & DL. Can't really use a Wah with the coloring effects simultaneously, and really who's going to notice the delay starting a bit before/after the Wah besides you and the other guitarists in the room?

I understand the attraction of MIDI - been using it to do odd things for years myself - but in your scenario, I think you'll find it a distraction on stage more than a benefit.

For such a small effect, you could get an analog switchboard that was basically A/B switches that took effect groups out of the loop (CH+DL, FL+DL, PH+DL, DL+Wah, DL only, Wah only, etc etc etc). You could get true bypass that way and not have another piece of delicate electronic gear to worry about.

However, I can't blame you for wanting to try it. As I said, I've used MIDI stuff for years and did all sorts of switching. Took miles of cable to do some of it

But I wouldn't waste the money on getting something that only switched channels on the amp and did not affect the effects, especially if the amp already came with a standard channel stomper.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

hey Newc, thanks for chiming in The amp does not come with any kind of channel selector, they only sell the Diezel "Colombus" midi switcher (another one of those contraptions with lots of preset switches on 'em ) so that's why I actually -need- a midi controller to get by on the channel switching.
      I think I'm going to go ahead with the MFC5 then, and see how I like that setup for a while, and then if need be, I can add the FX4 for controlling my stomp effects later on.

I'm also sorta reluctant to getting the rackmount flight for the amp/effects, I guess I'm old school thinking but I really like the look of the amp heads glowing in the dark on top of the cabinets on stage, looks kinda lame if you have the amp hidden in a flight and just a bunch of cabinets standing around like they're not hooked up

edit: I don't mind the wah coloring the effects, it's part of the attraction

Comment

Well, if you want MIDI control of the channel switching it only makes sense to hook up the pedals in MIDI-controlled loops as well. The Axess stuff works great, and is actually pretty cheap compared to other comparable solutions... I use the CFX4 along with a Boss MIDI-board to control my Riveras and rack gear, and I couldn´t be happier. If I used more than one pedal I´d probably spring for a GRX4, as well.

Comment

GCX Audio Switcher will solve you problems. Good quality gear
          CURRENT GEAR SET UP
          2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
          1989 JACKSON KING V
          1984 JACKSON RR
          AXE FX II
          MESA BOOGIE 2:90
          DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
          FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
          (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
          (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS