EMG pickup combo for my SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG pickup combo for my SL2H

Alrighty, just got my brand new SL2H and wanna get rid of the Seymour Duncan's ASAP!!!

My last Explorer had the EMG 81/60 combo and that was awesome, the 81 was awesome for rhythm and leads, while the 60 produced the most amazing clean tone.

I play a lot of Metallica so I'm looking at either the 81/85, 81/60 or 81/81. While I play a lot of distorted stuff I also play a fair amount of clean stuff too, which is why the 81/60 combo keeps coming back to me. The reason I thought of the 81/85 combo was because my guitar has an alder body, and the 85 might help to darken the tone a bit. I also noticed Kirk Hammett's sig guitars have 81/81 config, guess this gives a more full lead tone?

Help
    Last edited by Dave; 08-15-2008, 08:05 AM.

Some of Kirk's guitars had the 81/89, and his Rhoads has the 81/H. The H is a single coil in humbucker housing. James started out with the 81/81 then went 81/60.

Personally, I'd go 85 for the bridge and either 81 or 60 for the neck. Though, since they've got the quick-connect clips, you can easily swap them around to see which sounds best to you.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ah yeah I forgot about the quick connect clips.

Comment

Yeah, the quick connect clips are neat. I, as well as some other people here, prefer the 85 in the bridge since it's got more low end and isn't as and scooped sounding as the 81, but whatever works best for you. I think you'll probably like the 85 better in the bridge of the alder SL2H to warm it up a bit.

Comment

A big +1 for the 85 in the bridge. That's how I've got my KE-1 set up. You could also look into the new 81 that you can split for the neck (if it's available yet, not sure).
          EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

With

With the quick connects, you can also try the new SD Black Outs as well ;-)

I have and love'em!!

Comment

Best EMG combo is the 81/60 IMO... stick with it .

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
                With the quick connects, you can also try the new SD Black Outs as well ;-)

I have and love'em!!
                So the Seymour Blackouts have the same configuration as the EMG's?
                They clip right on w/ out changing anything?
                Cool!!
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven
                Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Keep the Duncans I say! I've got EMG 81 / 85 combo on my SL2H and it sounds quite lifeless and boring - my ESP MII with JB/'59 sounds a lot better and at least as loud. I just ordered another SD set for the Jackson - begone with the EMGs!

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                    So the Seymour Blackouts have the same configuration as the EMG's?
                    They clip right on w/ out changing anything?
                    Cool!!
                    Yep, same clip, so you can easily swap them.

Comment

Originally posted by 1b4n3z View Post
                      Keep the Duncans I say! I've got EMG 81 / 85 combo on my SL2H and it sounds quite lifeless and boring - my ESP MII with JB/'59 sounds a lot better and at least as loud. I just ordered another SD set for the Jackson - begone with the EMGs!
                      I think the JB is one of the biggest overrated pups ever. EMGs are much better to me. To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        I think the JB is one of the biggest overrated pups ever. EMGs are much better to me. To each his own.
                        I agree, for the most part they are overrated. I never had much luck w/ Duncans, I was always a Bill (&Becky) Lawrence,and DiMarzio guy when it comes to passives.
                        EMG's are my #1 choice for the style I play.
                        I tried a JB for the first time ever when I built my Charvel mutt Jake E. Lee Strat. I wanted it to be as authenic as possible. It took me a while to get used to it, but I am growing to like it as of late. I'm trying to dial it in better, by messing with the height and the poles.

That is so cool that the Blackouts interchange w/ the EMG's
                        I already thought it was strange how similar they are in appearance, and now to find out the connectors interchange...interesting.
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven
                        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by 1b4n3z View Post
                          The JB doesn't have any balls to it :ROTF:

Comment

I've always been more of a DiMarzio or EMG fan, but I like some Duncans, too. The JB is more treble and high mids, not much bass. It can sound good in certain guitars, and lame in others. I've got one in my Brian Moore i9f that actually sounds pretty good, but the body is mahogany.
                            I also had a JB in my mahogany Hamer Special FM and thought it was just okay (with a '59 in the neck which I like in just about any guitar), but a set of chrome 25th anniversary EMG 81s definitely gave it more balls in the low end, and I'm not really a big fan of the 81 in the bridge any more. I sold the guitar a few years ago, bought it back recently with a Duncan Custom 5 and Alnico II Pro, which are pretty nice in this guitar, but I've got a creme EMG 85 and chrome 81 laying around that I think will go in soon.

Comment

two 89's with a coil tap
                              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                              X