No knob wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No knob wiring

I'm in the process of doing a shattered glass top guitar, and figure that less I have to make precision cuts for knobs/switches the better. So I've decided that I'm going to go 1H and preferably no knobs at all.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but if it is, could someone let me know how the wiring would go with a JB.

Thanks

Newc ordered his War Angel with no knob. I believe it's just wired to the output jack.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Directly to the jack.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yup Directly to the jack. The black wire of the jb to the hot lug of the jack and the shield and green wire to the ground lug of the jack. Just like it would if it was a pot. But its not so yeah.
        Gil

Comment

Just don't forget to ground it to the bridge off the ground lug, or you'll get a constant hum.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
            Just don't forget to ground it to the bridge off the ground lug, or you'll get a constant hum.
            True, or, you can always keep your hand/fingers on the strings and absorb all that energy risking the chance of shock...
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Sweet. Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                True, or, you can always keep your hand/fingers on the strings and absorb all that energy risking the chance of shock...
                I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say? but It's late at night and I'm tired, so maybe it's just me...

Comment

Huh?

How are you going to get shocked by strings that aren't grounded to the output?

Comment

K.K. Downing had some of his tour guitars setup like this, His theory was simplicity, and less to trouble shoot.

I had a Gibson V wired like this, but I had an ON/OFF toggle between the pup and the jack. Just so I could shut it down fast if I needed to.

The tone is much better, not going through a vol. or tone knob. It's hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean.
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven
                    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by J.C. Harrist View Post
                      Huh?

How are you going to get shocked by strings that aren't grounded to the output?

Because YOU then act as the ground, and that can be fatal in the event of a power surge. You don't want to be the ground in an electronic circuit.
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Because YOU then act as the ground, and that can be fatal in the event of a power surge. You don't want to be the ground in an electronic circuit.
                        That is what the amp's ground is for. You are only the path of least resistance in a mis-wired amp. There IS a reason for having 3 pins on a plug. That third pin is the ground, which is where the current goes. It only goes to the guitar if something if the ground is miswired. Most amps also ground to the chassis, or occasionally frame/cab. And because all guitars must have (EMGs excluded) have a form ground to the bridge so the pickup goes to ground for noise-canceling/cutting purposes...

Comment

Working...
                        X