Pickup Suggestions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Suggestions Please

Have a Model 6 being shipped to me and want to replace the pups with Dimarzios.

Can anyone make some suggestions to me? S-S-H.

I would like to cover Metal, Classic Rock, Blues and NeoClassical primarily.

Also, what do I need to know when I order as far as size or whatever? I am used to Humbuckers, but unsure of what type of Singlecoils I need for this guitar.

Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    13' Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro ii - Alpine White
    05' Gibson Les Paul Classic - Ebony
    USA Jackson SL-2
    USA Jackson SL-1
    Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
    Marshall 1965A 4x10
    Marshall 1960AV 4x12

IIRC, the spacing on the Jt6 was weird from most FRs and normal spaced. One DiMarzio combo I really enjoyed was the equivalent a Breed > HS2 > HS2 combo in my Saber. Really nice and smooth sounding with being too muddy. Good bite and pop with great mids. But that was a mahogany guitar, albeit a thin.

One that you can't go wrong with is the ToneZone. It is a versatile, clear, pickup that does not sound as harsh as a JB and has pretty good bass response. The mids are really sharp and jump out at you. It's got tones of balls too. Besides the HS2, not quite sure what singles to advise. Maybe you should try DiMarzio's pickup finder.

Comment

The Single coil cavities are routed for the non tabbed pups. So make sure you get the singles without the tabs or you'll have to do some routing.
      Gil

Comment

When I picked up my Jackson Stealth, it had the JB / JBjr / JBjr combo in it. Well, being a Dimarzio nut and a fanatic about the Super Distortion and digging that 80's metal! I swapped the JB out for the Super Distortion and left the JBjr's in the middle and neck. The resistance on the JB and SD match up pretty well and I just think the SD is heavier overall, IMO. I run the Dimarzio Super Distortion in several guitars. In the Jackson I play off the Bridge / Middle position a lot, it beefs the SD up really nicley. I wouldn't set out to run this combo though, I've gotten really good feedback from Dimarzio themselves just by emailing and asking some questions, they seem to be pretty helpful. IMO you need to find the Bridge pickup you want and match up from there though. Whatever you do let us know so I can consider adding it to my arsenal!
        Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Custom Classic
        Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton sig
        Fender Telecaster Standard MM
        Jackson Dinky DKMGT
        Jackson Stealth EX
        Charvel 375
        Ibanez Daytripper
        OLP Musicman
        Carvin C250

Mesa 5:50 Express
        Sonic 4 x 12

Comment

If you want a few other DiMarzios to consider, here are my suggestions.

Bridge - Steve Morse model. It's got a lot of output and harmonics are effortless. It also does a decent single-coil approximation if you used the tapped output.

Middle and neck, I'd look at something from the Virtual Vintage series. For the neck, I think a Virtual Vintage Solo might be a good choice. Though Mr. Malmsteen uses very low-output pickups, I think the hotter VV Solo is a good choice to pair with the Morse. I have that pairing in my Grosh Bent Top and it does a pretty good "neo-classical" tone while also being bluesier when you want it.

Good luck and enjoy the new-to-you guitar.
          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Thanks to everybody for their response. I just recieved the guitar today and it is in very good condition. I'll sort my pickup choices over the next several days and let you guys know what I come up with.

Thanks again for all of the help!!
            USA Jackson SL-2
            USA Jackson SL-1
            Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
            Marshall 1965A 4x10
            Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Evo2 and Chopper neck fast track middle is a good combo..
              Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

I like the Tone Zone for the bridge and either the Virtual Vintage or Fast Track for the neck single coil.
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

another vote for the Tone Zone Perfect for metal and neo classical, PAF Pro ain't too shabby either.
                  07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

I have a guitar loaded with a Tone Zone and two FS-1 singles, that sounds very good. They have enough output to balance with the Tone Zone, but are true singles and get excellent cleans and bluesier leads out of the neck.

Btw, I don't think the Tone Zone is a universal answer for every H/S/S guitar. Any guitar that is dark sounding or "fat" sounding will need a brighter humbucker in the bridge IMO.

Comment

Duncan Alternative 8 is a great hum for metal, but I don't know much about single coils.

Comment

Originally posted by XxKilgannonxX View Post
                        Evo2 and Chopper neck fast track middle is a good combo..
                        That's basically what the guy at Dimarzio suggested. He recommended the EVO2, Chopper and Cruiser.
                        What's the difference between the Fast Track and the Cruiser?

Still happy to hear any other suggestions before I dish out the dough.

Thanks!
                        USA Jackson SL-2
                        USA Jackson SL-1
                        Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
                        Marshall 1965A 4x10
                        Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                          I like the Tone Zone for the bridge
                          +1. I have it in my '89 USA RR (poplar body) and it rocks! Very clear sounding and not too bassy, just perfect!! Sweeping, tapping, etc. on it sounds awesome!

Comment

Working...
                          X