What gauge strings for C tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gauge strings for C tuning?

So I have both my sl-1 and sl2ht tuned down 2 whole steps to c to learn a lot of arch enemy stuff. Currently using GHS boomers low tune set, .12- 53. I'm pretty sure I need to go a little bigger, cause things are a little floppy. I am used to using .10s for regular e tuning. What are you guys using for C tuning on your jacksons?

13-60
    Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Originally posted by guitgeek View Post
      So I have both my sl-1 and sl2ht tuned down 2 whole steps to c to learn a lot of arch enemy stuff. Currently using GHS boomers low tune set, .12- 53. I'm pretty sure I need to go a little bigger, cause things are a little floppy. I am used to using .10s for regular e tuning. What are you guys using for C tuning on your jacksons?
      I also use the low-tunes GHS Boomers set on my RR1T for D tuning, and they're 11-53 (11, 15, 19, 33, 43, 53). For going a step lower, I would use at least a 54 or 56 as the low string.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I follow a simple rule with string gauges:
        10s for E, 10.5s for Eb, 11s for D, 12s for C and 13s for B standard.
        (I use D'Addario strings).
        So I'd recommend the 12-54 set, and if that's still too floppy for you, 13-56.
        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I use 11-52 d'Addarios.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
            I follow a simple rule with string gauges:
            10s for E, 10.5s for Eb, 11s for D, 12s for C and 13s for B standard.
            (I use D'Addario strings).
            So I'd recommend the 12-54 set, and if that's still too floppy for you, 13-56.
            I'm curious if you (or anyone) makes adjustments for different scale lengths i.e. 9's for 25.5" and 10s for 24.75"? I've heard to go a size larger for smaller scale lengths. I've always used Boomer Custom Lites 9-46 for all my axes, but I'm going to switch to the different size on different scale lengths.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              I've heard to go a size larger for smaller scale lengths. I've always used Boomer Custom Lites 9-46 for all my axes, but I'm going to switch to the different size on different scale lengths.
              I've done this in the past, stepping up a gauge on my Les Pauls. It's been a while, but it seemed to keep the string tension a little more balanced between guitars with different scales.
              Your friendly neighborhood import whore :: '08 DK2M, '08 DKMG, '03 KVX10, '94 Dinky Rev.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I'm curious if you (or anyone) makes adjustments for different scale lengths i.e. 9's for 25.5" and 10s for 24.75"?
                I do. Well...currently at least: .010 on 25.5", and .0105 on 24.75".
                But the jury is still out on how well it works.

Comment

Wow those are thick guages guys!! I normally use D'Addario 9-42 I am tuned to Eb. But I also use 9-42's for DGCFAD, and C#.
                  I like the squishy feel of them.

My Charvel mutt has 8-38's and it's in Eb, that is really loose feeling, but for some reason I prefer it that way. Also thicker strings prohibit speed, and I get slowed down by thick strings.

Used to use 10-54 custom on my PS3T Rhoads in C#
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven
                  Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

GHS Wylde

10-60 for the charvette, ibanez 9-46 and les paul 10-46.

Comment

I had a jackson tuned to C and the strings were too loose , I can't remember if they were 11 or 12s.:ROTF:
                      Last edited by Rich#6; 08-13-2008, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Like 10-52s on my Les Pauls (24.75")..and 10 -46 on the Jacksons (25.5") pretty much tune to Eb and drop Db only...but have been rethinking that lately.
                        www.JerryRobison.com
                        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Dean Markley Jazz (12-54) on my KVX10 tuned to C. I think I still want something slightly thicker than the 54 on top though...maybe a 56.
                          THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Eventually, you guys will be using 6-string basses.
                            I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Originally posted by quadperson View Post
                              Eventually, you guys will be using 6-string basses.
                              Or maybe 11-stringer!!!
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJSEa...eature=related

Comment

Working...
                              X