Removing autographs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing autographs...

So I helped a friend on a project. He thanked me by giving me a Fender Squire mini-strat. Cute little plucker. Always wanted one as a goof. Well, I got one. Thinking of modding it.

It has autographs on it from the band Korn. I could care less. They signed it with silver ink pens. In fact, Munky (or Head - I can't tell) smeared their own signature. Talk about being Ibanez purists and not wanting to sign a squire. Funny stuff.

Well, anyone have suggestions as to removing the autographs w/o affecting the finish on the mini-strat?
    Much appreciated.
    -Pete

Probably an alcohol based ink? Careful on dwell time, could take the finish off
    www.JerryRobison.com
    '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

nail polish remover

Comment

nail polish remover
        +1
        i am surprised they signed it. If they have contracts with another guitar company that is usually a no no.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          If they have contracts with another guitar company that is usually a no no.
          Are you serious?
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Are you serious?
            yes
            I will give you an example. a few years ago we had Brian setzer play at the theatre I work at. We wanted him to sign a guitar. His manager told us because of his contract with Gretch that he would only sign one of his guitars unless it was our entire season of artists. He said he could get us one of his signature guitars for cost. Street price is $4400 for one of those things so we said no.

Comment

Michael Angelo Batio signed my Jackson, aswell as my friends Jacksons, Ibanezes, etc.

Comment

I'd start with denatured alcohol before using nail polish remover.

Comment

Cleaner car wax or regular car wax will work just fine.

Comment

i'm kind of along those lines, too. i'd buff it with fine cut compound before going to the solvents.
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Lighter fluid (the kind you use with Zippo lighters) does a pretty good job. This stuff called "Goop Off" also works too, but be sure you test it, first.

You gotta be careful with the nail polish remover though, as it might screw up a polyester (or even a lacquer) finish. The same goes with Acetone and Paint Thinner, too.

Comment

Nail polish is acetone. I would avoid using that. Maybe try Naptha (lighter fluid) or a compound like Sully suggested.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Use the extra fine compound made by 3M. Goop Off will confucker up a finish.
                          "POOP"

Comment

Check it out. . . .

http://www.citristrip.com/

this stuff will take off the 'marker' and leave the finish. You can get it at HOME DEPOT for $15.
                            Last edited by j4vice; 08-15-2008, 04:48 PM.
                            JvicE

Comment

Cant you just wipe it off with furniture polish? I used a permanent marker on something last week and within 5 minutes of touching it (it's a handset thing) the marker had all come off!
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X