Truss Rod Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss Rod Adjustment

I was working on a friends late 80's Charvel (neck through body with a licenced Floyd). The Floyd was loose and sitting forward due to string tension. When I leveled the floyd by tightening the claw there was some fret buzz on the 4th string at the 5th fret. When I checked the neck it was straight as an arrow with no relief. I loosed the truss rod about 1/4 - 1/2 turn thinking that this would provide slight relief and correct the fret buzz.

The problem is when I loosened the truss rod, the neck did not move at all. Does the neck need some time to respond to the change in tension? Has any one seen this, or can someone provide any insight and guidence.

It can take time, that's for sure.
    Then again, although it seems like that amount should have had some effect, maybe you want to go a bit more, say another 1/8th of a turn...
    Did it seem real tight, or... just right in terms of how tough it was to adjust?
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

The rod was loose after backing it off a 1/2 turn. At that point, there was no tension or resistance if I were to continue to loosen. I tightened it just to the point of having a little tension. I told my buddy to give it a few days to see how the neck reacts. Any ideas?

This guitar has a condor style headstock, Charvel logo (styled like the current Jackson logo) and black pick-up covers with the Charvel logo on then (look like EMG's but Charvel's). The volume on the high E is too low. Consequently, the pick up is a high as possible on the high E side and as low as possible on the low E side. Can you remove the pick-up covers to adjust the volume of each string in the humbuckling pickup?

Comment

I think you're instincts are correct... give it a few days.
        Maybe think of stepping up to the next higher string gage would motivate it to move.

Not sure on the pickup thing... did you check the battery?
        --floydkramer

Comment

I had this happen to me a few times actually, and I had a Jackson that i just let sit to adjust, and it done nothing, so I put my hand on the back of the headstock and pushed it like I was doing a Jake E. Lee type dive.

(Grab the neck around the 12th and push on the back of the Head w/ the other) ** Rhoads also did this w/ his Les Paul**

It definitely helped it and I had to tighten it from there. sometimes they kind of stick a little bit, just be easy, and also tuning to pitch helps between adjustments.

Good Luck hope you figure it out.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven
          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

When ever i get a truss rod that wont budge the neck. I do a similar thing as just mentioned. I push forward on the head stock and push down on the neck with my right hand. Moving my right hand up and back down the neck as i push on the headstock. It works 99% of the time. The 1% i doesnt work is when the truss rod is either maxed out and wont do anything to a warped neck. Or when the truss rod is broken. Try it and give let it sit for a bit to adjust. remeber that would is cellular and it takes time to react to even the smallest adjustments. This pressure thing helps excellerate it.
            Gil

Comment

I've used this technique too. A knowledgeable sales guy that set up my guitar at the Cherry Hill NJ Sam Ash 15 yrs ago referred to it as giving the neck a light "bitch slap" after turning the truss rod.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Thanks Everyone, I will follow up with my buddy in a few days to see if the neck has reacted to the backing off of truss rod tension.

How much relief should there be in a properly set up neck? With a capo on the First Fret and holding down the 12th. Should you be able to fit a medium pick between the strings and the 6th fret?

Comment

Lower the action to where it looks right at the 12th (first pass only, visual)
                  If it buzzes, I raise it
                  If it does not buzz, I lower it until I find the buzz, then raise a touch, test up and down the neck.

Check Neck relief, adjust as required.

Repeat.

I've seen dead flat "almost" play perfectly.

If you get that logic.

Take your time.

And tune her every week or so for a while, until she is stable.

Repeat in the fall

Then the spring

This is why it's impossible to really own more than 10 guitars or so.

You end up spending your life with them, adjusting.

LOL
                  --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                    When ever i get a truss rod that wont budge the neck. I do a similar thing as just mentioned. I push forward on the head stock and push down on the neck with my right hand.
                    NEVER PUSH THE HEADSTOCK OF A GIBSON!!! THOSE THINGS SNAP SO EASILY!!! I've seen countless times when someone wanted to neck bend and the pushed forward on the headstock, and it snapped right off. Never do it, push forward on the neck right behing the nut.

But i guess JacksonFreak's technique will work on other guitars.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
                      How much relief should there be in a properly set up neck? With a capo on the First Fret and holding down the 12th. Should you be able to fit a medium pick between the strings and the 6th fret?

That would be a ton of relief. Also, I capo at the 1st and hold down higher up than the 12th, usually around where the neck meets the body. Say the 17th for a bolt-on & maybe a bit higher for a neckthrough, then check the relief at the midpoint (which would be around the 7th fret). Every guitar is different and everyone has their preferences, but for most of my guitars I go for about .010" (about the thickness of a high E string) of relief at the midpoint.

Comment

Is this standard tuning? A lower tuning may not work with that guitar and string gauge combo.

Comment

Working...
                        X