Truss Rod Nut Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss Rod Nut Problem

I just got this from Ebay (yeah, I know its a LTD, but it had the features I wanted for a reasonable price).

I noticed the truss rod nut cover was a little raised, so when I took a look inside it seems the nut has been loosened quite a bit, so much that it will be difficult to get a wrench in. There does not seem to be any cracks or structural damage and the neck has some relief. Fret buzz on the first fret when I play the open strings.

Is this something to worry about, or should I just tighten the nut back to closer to "factory" specs.

Thanks!

-Mike

So the nut is loose? If so, yes you need to tighten it down.

The question is will it go down enough to have the cover sit flush?
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
      So the nut is loose? If so, yes you need to tighten it down.

The question is will it go down enough to have the cover sit flush?
      Well, the nut doesn't spin freely, so I can't really tighten it by hand. If worse comes to worse, I guess I can saw off the end of an allen wrench to get in there. I'm mainly wondering (being the technical bonehead that I am), does the nut this far back mean there might be something really wrong with the neck or the truss rod?

Thanks,

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by iced_earth View Post
        Well, the nut doesn't spin freely, so I can't really tighten it by hand. If worse comes to worse, I guess I can saw off the end of an allen wrench to get in there. I'm mainly wondering (being the technical bonehead that I am), does the nut this far back mean there might be something really wrong with the neck or the truss rod?

Thanks,

-Mike
        Not really. I'm thinking the nut is the wrong size for the rod. I don't know how you will adjust it because there doesn't seem to be any clearance behind the nut. Strange.

My first guess is the nut is the wrong one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
          Not really. I'm thinking the nut is the wrong size for the rod. I don't know how you will adjust it because there doesn't seem to be any clearance behind the nut. Strange.

My first guess is the nut is the wrong one.
          That makes sense... I wonder how they get the nut on the first place? Sounds like this will have to go to a local tech... unless I can find a way to get the nut off on my own.

Thanks again,

-Mike

Comment

Mike,
            Can you get at it with a pair of pliers without beating the crap out of it?

Looking at the pic it looks like it's as wide as the cavity. Wow. How the hell did they get it on there?

I'd try with a pair of pliers, needlenose maybe.

Good luck man.

Comment

A trussrud nut should never stick out of the cavity it was designed to fit into. Now you know why it was reasonably priced.

Ditch it as fast as you can, because I can guarantee you the rest of the trussrod is toast.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, I talked to my local tech for about 5 minutes. He wasn't sure what exactly it was. He needed some time to look/play around to diagnose it. He mentioned it looked kind of like a broken adjustment tool, but there was no evidence of a break point. Without any conclusion, I took it back home for more tinkering and possibly more internet searches.

I figured the whole truss rod might be toast, so I might as well try to pull it out to see if it was a broken adjustment tool. I was able to pull on it, but it was longer than the cavity with no possible way to get a tool that long in or out, so I pushed it back in... and it went all the way in. I had no idea if an adjustment nut could have that much play in it... so I tuned the guitar up and tried adjusting it (had to jam in the ball end of a 4mm wrench). The adjustment changed the neck's relief/action, so it seems to be working as its supposed to. I ain't much of a technician, but I was able to get acceptable action after throwing a new set of 10s (it came with 9s). I hope this is the end of the story, but has anyone else had this problem?

Pics of how it looks now:

Thanks to Bengal and Newc.

Comment

So ... it seems like it had been loosened so much that it pulled out a bit but was jammed in the wood? And you were able to push it back in to where it could "screw in", so to speak, and life is good?
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
                    So ... it seems like it had been loosened so much that it pulled out a bit but was jammed in the wood? And you were able to push it back in to where it could "screw in", so to speak, and life is good?
                    Yeah, that seems to be the case. I checked the ESP website and this should have a double-action truss rod, if that makes a difference.

-Mike

Comment

The jackass who owned it before you probably loosened it all the way and thought it was frigged. Looks like you fixed it. Good luck.
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Interesting. Glad it was an easy fix.

I agree that the person who owned it before loosened it up all the way.

Comment

Working...
                        X