Pickup for Poplar/Alder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup for Poplar/Alder?

I've got a Kramer that probably needs a pup swap. I think the body's either poplar or alder, it's a Kramer Pacer Custom II, both 1987 catalogs don't seem to be exactly like mine so I'm not sure which it is. Any how both woods are pretty bright on the tonescale I believe, which leads me to think that the wood may be responsible for the JB sounding icky. Any suggestions?

Hmm
    I love a JB in those
    Maybe the pickup is toast?
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

In my king V I prefer the Duncan Blackouts, but in my SL2H I really enjoy th JB. So either one of them would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
        Hmm
        I love a JB in those
        Maybe the pickup is toast?
        That's what the guitar tech at work told me it might be, the pup is 20 years old so it might be kinda worn out. I find it shrill and muddy, are these signs of a possibly worn out pick up?

Also, forget to add I don't wanna go active in this guitar, both my other guitars have active setups and sound very similar.

Comment

Are you sure it's wired up right?
          Scott

Comment

Yes, I had the wiring checked over.

Comment

Like always, it all boils down to personal taste, but for my money nothing beats a Duncan Custom in an alder bolt-on. I also have one in a maple neckthrough/poplar wing guitar and it sounds great there too.

Comment

Working...
              X