Time to get new pickups for the LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to get new pickups for the LP

I want to give my LP Classic a more vintage tone, something good for blues, jazz and classic rock. Its current pickups are a Dimarzio Norton (bridge) and Dimarzio Bluesbucker (neck) are just not cutting it. I definitely want to go for pups with lower output, less midrange and more treble. For the bridge pickup, I'd like one that has smooth highs, mids that are there to full out the sound and not make it too nasally and lows that are full but not muddy.

I've pretty much decided that I want to put a Duncan Jazz in the neck position. I've got one in a Charvel I have now and I like it a lot. I generally like pups with more treble in the neck position anyway. However, which pickup to choose for the bridge position is a bit more complicated.

As much as I love Dimarzios, in my opinion Duncan makes better vintage style pickups so for simplicity's sake, I'm excluding Dimarzio from list of possibilities. In addition to Duncan, I've also been looking at Lindy Fralin pups as well. Again, I want to narrow my brand choices to these two. I know there are plenty of other good brands for this kind of pickup but if I can't get what I want from Duncan or Fralin, I probably can't get it from anyone.

In the Duncan line, I'm considering the '59 and the Seth Lover. As much as I want a bridge pup with a lot less midrange than I'm used to (Tone Zones and Norton), I'm concerned that too little midrange will make the pickup sound too thin hence why I'm consider the Seth Lover. However, that pickups sells for about $115 and considering I would want the pickup potted (which is not normally) and without a cover (comes with one on stock), I'm looking at a special order and the price would likely exceed that of a Fralin PAF ($120).

So that leads me to the Fralin PAF which in some ways makes things easier because there are lot more options in regards to tuning the pickup.

Any advice or experience with said pickups would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine has a Les Paul with a Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge, it sounds amazing. It is a little hotter than a PAF but not much, to my ears anyway.

Comment

I had considered the Pearly Gates but after listening to the clip of it on Duncan's website, it's not quite what I want. It's a little to thick and bright.

Comment

+1 on the Pearly Gates. Great pickup. Vintage tone, but just a bit better harmonics & upper end than a '59. I haven't played a Fralin humbucker, but I'd expect that it kicks ass based on his singles.

edit- sorry, posted without seeing your reply! Hopefully somebody here has tried the Fralin.
        Last edited by dg; 08-04-2008, 12:20 PM.

Comment

i would consider 2 different sets for you LP.

1. john Suhr's _Doug Aldrige signature pups.
          2. Rio Grande BBQ Bucker and Genuine Texas set.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

the pearly gates is a great vintage pickup... try not to put to much into the sound clips they can be misleading , i think it will work well for what your looking for .. but you cant go wrong with the 59's .. or even the alnico pro 2's .

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
              i would consider 2 different sets for you LP.

1. john Suhr's _Doug Aldrige signature pups.
              Thanks for the suggestion but that's completely the opposite of what I'm looking for. Those pups are high output and I want to go low output/vintage. If I wanted high output, I would go with a Dimarzio Tone Zone and PAF Joe.

2. Rio Grande BBQ Bucker and Genuine Texas set.
              Again, a little hotter than what I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
                the pearly gates is a great vintage pickup... try not to put to much into the sound clips they can be misleading , i think it will work well for what your looking for .. but you cant go wrong with the 59's .. or even the alnico pro 2's .
                I thought about the AP2 but it's got a little bit too much in the upper mids.

While I understand the sound clips aren't perfect, I used the '59 as my baseline (because I had one in a guitar years ago) so I just listened for the differences between the various pickup clips.

Comment

Why not Gibson pickups?
                  I've got Burstbucker Pros in my Standard and they sound great!
                  I also have '57 Classics in an old 80's Epi Les Paul that sound really good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                    Why not Gibson pickups?
                    +1

The Burstbucker 1&2 in my R0 sound awesome for metal as well. I have Pro's in a Standard but like the Alnico II pickups better.

Comment

Why exclude DiMarzio? My LP copy has a Virtual PAF bridge and an Air Classic Neck - they sound great and were $100 for the pair.

Comment

Old Pat # might be the ticket...Careful though I've seen some hot ones
                        www.JerryRobison.com
                        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                          Why exclude DiMarzio? My LP copy has a Virtual PAF bridge and an Air Classic Neck - they sound great and were $100 for the pair.
                          Y'know, you're right. I've been using Dimarzios since I first started playing 26 yrs ago and they've never steered me wrong.

I was doing some more research last night and I've decided to go with a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs.

Thanks for all the input folks.

Comment

Custom/59
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have a Pearly Gate in my Neck and a Alnico II Pro in my bridge.. I love the combination.
                              2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                              2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                              2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                              2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                              2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                              2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                              2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                              2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                              2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                              1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                              1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Working...
                              X