Volume knob wiring problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume knob wiring problem?

I swapped out the volume pot only my SL1 about 2 weeks ago and it's been fine, but today it started shorting out. Basically what happens is if I turn OFF the volume and nudge it a little hard once it can't keep turning, it comes back on, full volume.

Once that happens I have no volume control no matter how I turn the knob, it's just full on. If I tap the knob and mess with it, it starts working again like normal.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of a way to fix it? Is the pot messed up or is my wiring possibly wrong?

Would it help if I took a pic of the wiring in the guitar?

Well, the wiring would more than likely be good if it's working fine, even for short periods of time. My bet is there's a solder joint loose, a loose connection somewhere in general, or something wrong internally with the pot itself. I'm no expert at all, but seeing if anything is loose there would make sense, since as you said, you nudging it is what it causes the thing to short out. I presume you checked for any bad connections, but check again, see if you left any splashes of solder or anything like that. That's the most basic thing you can do, but may still be of some use.
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

There is very little in the pot really that will do what your saying.It sounds like a cold solder joint.You may have a strand of the hot lead touching or arcing against the pot base.
      Bubble gum soldering leads to bad ground problems.It will look like its making connection but it may not be.Always make a clean solder joint and it will last a long time.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The solders look fine but now the volume knob doesn't work at all. It's just full on all the time. I guess I will re-solder and see what happens.

dg, hooked me up with this, the SL1 wiring diagram http://audiozone.dk/cm/thumbnails.php?album=66. Does anyone have an actual picture of the wiring on an SL1. I'm wondering if it's possible I missed something when I looked at the Audiozone links

This is the closest thing I could find. My Soloist has 3 mini toggles, not a 5-way switch
        Last edited by nsubulysses; 08-04-2008, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X