Seymour Duncan P-Rails a review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan P-Rails a review

I needed a new neck pickup for my Les Paul. The P-Rails seemed like a great idea. Pickup installed and win ensues.

First of all, the series humbucker sound is clear, medium output with strong upper mids, but subdued highs- really a decent neck pickup.

The P 90 Coil is louder than the humbucker and is probably the strength of the design. Again the highs are attenuated, but the upper mids and on this one, the lower mids, give good definition and response with real P 90 tone.

The rail coil is brighter. On high gain settings the rail coil manages to make the LP sound like a strat. Even moreso, the parallel setting gives a low output signal that sounds a bit like positions 2 and 4 on a strat. The parallel output is low and cleans up my amp nicely.

Thanks for that. I am considering one of these for the bridge on my RR1T I have on order and using a push/pull or mini toggle system for the coil tap.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

18K ohms....that's hot! I wonder if a standard pickup cover will fit over those. I've got a painted one that I would like to reuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        I wonder if a standard pickup cover will fit over those. I've got a painted one that I would like to reuse.
        Nope, regular covers won't fit. It's been discussed on the Seymour Duncan Forum. However, the bigger EMG-type plastic covers will fit.
        Here's one that Fusion1 did (his screen name here is Jackson-Charvel).

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...=P-Rails+cover
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I love this pickup, it just gives me so many tone options.

Comment

I'm really considering one of these for the neck position of my LTD. Your positive review isn't helping my compulsion to spend money I should be saving for uni on gear.
            Why so serious?

Comment

I may get one for my USA pro charvel
              i bought the san dimas style 1 and would like the option of some more versitle tones than the jazz neck offers i did install a push/pull pot for tapping the pups
              would do you guys think?
              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
                I may get one for my USA pro charvel
                i bought the san dimas style 1 and would like the option of some more versitle tones than the jazz neck offers i did install a push/pull pot for tapping the pups
                would do you guys think?
                A Jazz neck pickup is one of my favorite for that position, but if you want versatility, get the P-Rail. You will want a couple push-pulls or other switches to get all 4 sounds from it, so perhaps that's too much modification for the new Charvel. That's a personal choice.

I think it's a winner. Flat out. I usually spend about 90% of the time on the bridge pickup, but the P-Rail has me evening out the balance.

Comment

Working...
                X