low action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low action

hey guys, i just played a jem @ guitar center and the action was crazy low, it inspired me to tweak with my rg. after tightening the truss rod, shimming the nut, and lowering the bridge i got it pretty low. i have been playing for 6 months now so lower is better for me. have figured out most of the tech side of it, you know wiring, setting a guitar up, and messin with floyd roses. just curious how high u guys like yours at.
    Maybe the dingo at your baby?

depends on the guitar. I like the action a little higher on a tele than my Md. 6 where i like it low. The bridge type and fret board radius may dictate the action.
    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

I like mine as low as I can possibly get it without buzzing so much I can hear it thru the amp.

On the other hand, George Lynch likes his action higher, so you have to fight with the strings.

Go figure.

Comment

yeah i like mine as low as possible too!
        Maybe the dingo at your baby?

Comment

Yea i need my action LOW... i have a light touch and small hands so low action is a must .

Comment

I have small hands, but prefer higher action. It's a little wierd to others, but i'm perfectly fine with it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randyrhoadsguitar View Post
              I have small hands, but prefer higher action. It's a little wierd to others, but i'm perfectly fine with it.
              Same here. I guess my action is more medium and not too high, though. I can deal with a little bit of string buzz when it's lower, but I don't really care for it too low, especially since I tend to pick a little harder.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I used to keep mine ultra low but now I prefer it medium-high. My strat with jumbo frets and scalloped fretboard feels like the action is almost acoustic-high if you're not used to it.

Comment

I usually set mine so that a full-step bend at the 15th fret grinds out, then raise it just to where it doesn't grind out.

Been thinking lately about going higher since I'm finding I can't really "dig in" on a lot of things, and you don't get as much picking dynamics with really low action because the harder you hit, the more "spank" and fretbuzz you get.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I like my action as low as possible without fret buzz.
                    I don't understand why anyone would want to fight with the strings, especially when shredding, but who I am to argue with Lynch?

Comment

As low as it can get without buzzing. To me, it's just less work for your hands.

Comment

Randy had no problem with high action. And we all know how small he was and the monster baseball bat neck he had on his les paul .

Karl Sandoval Interview: The guitar was finished. Before it was built, I remember Randy coming down to see me. I was busy writing up the sale form and he was just kind of standing around and waiting. I had a harmony guitar that belonged to my dad that was sitting there. While I was writing up the invoice I started to hear this classical music. He had picked up the guitar, got into the classical style of holding the guitar and started playing. It was completely flawless. This guy was incredible. I could never make that guitar sound like that! The guy was so well trained in classical music that he liked the fat neck, he didn’t mind the heavy gage strings, and he didn’t mind the high action. He played it very well and he was just kind of passing time as I was writing the invoice. It was very interesting to hear him perform like that.
                        sigpic

Comment

I prefer mine LOW but wish i could get used to the higher actions that guys like YJM and SRV use
                          the higher action give a more solid tone and sustain i hear
                          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by randyrhoadsguitar View Post
                            Randy had no problem with high action. And we all know how small he was and the monster baseball bat neck he had on his les paul .

Karl Sandoval Interview: The guitar was finished. Before it was built, I remember Randy coming down to see me. I was busy writing up the sale form and he was just kind of standing around and waiting. I had a harmony guitar that belonged to my dad that was sitting there. While I was writing up the invoice I started to hear this classical music. He had picked up the guitar, got into the classical style of holding the guitar and started playing. It was completely flawless. This guy was incredible. I could never make that guitar sound like that! The guy was so well trained in classical music that he liked the fat neck, he didn’t mind the heavy gage strings, and he didn’t mind the high action. He played it very well and he was just kind of passing time as I was writing the invoice. It was very interesting to hear him perform like that.
                            RR's could have played a tennis racket and made it sing
                            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Recently I've found the low action on my Epi SG and Black Beauty to be a bit annoying. The light strings and low action seem too floppy. I'm gonna try 10s rather than 9s next time I restring them.
                              In general, I like my action low but not that low.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X