What causes this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes this?

I think I'm posting in the right section, I assume this is an issue with the clear coat but am wondering what would cause something like this. Pictured is where the biggest cluster of them appear but I have little ones here and there all over the guitar.

It's usually solvent popping (incompatible solvents on top of each other, or material put on too wet or fast) or from water in the air lines when it was being painted. I can't see it well enough to tell you which it is though. There's other things that can happen but these are usually the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by paige View Post
      It's usually solvent popping (incompatible solvents on top of each other, or material put on too wet or fast) or from water in the air lines when it was being painted. I can't see it well enough to tell you which it is though. There's other things that can happen but these are usually the problem.

You're right, it's solvent popping. What causes it is using a reducer and/or hardener that's meant for colder weather (faster drying) in warm temps, and the surface dries before the material underneath it. Then when the solvents under the surface "skin" try to evaporate, they create gasses, which turn into a stream of bubbles trying to make it to the surface. It can happen by putting the clear on too thick, but usually if the right reducers are used it's not an issue. If all of the elements are right, you can lay poly on pretty damned thick without having solvent pop issues. The only fix is a strip and refin.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I have 2 spots like that on my DK2T. Not much you can do short of a refin.

Comment

hm Okay, I don't know too much about all this. This is a 21yr old guitar, is it possible to remove the clear without messing with the snakeskin paint job underneath?

Comment

no.

Comment

It's herpes. There is no cure for herpes.

I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                It's herpes. There is no cure for herpes.

Though, a dose of Valtrex might help a little. :ROTF:
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Though, a dose of Valtrex might help a little. :ROTF:
                  I was just gonna say that!
                  Apply some Valtrex liberally on the surface, and buff it out. Works for me everytime. Be prepared to use some elbow grease as well.

Kidding

It sucks to lose that snakeskin finish, especially on an older guitar. You could try and use 1,000 or 2,000 grit and wet sand it out using light pressure, and maybe, just maybe use scratch and swirl remover and buff it out.
                  If you get most of it out, you can try to wet sand the rest of the guitar, and have it re-cleared, but the chances are unlikely.
                  It does add character though, and what sucks is with that finish, you can't really cover it up with a sticker, cause that would look dumb.

Good luck man
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven
                  Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I was gonna say it's the orangepeel effect on the undercoat, so buffing the clearcoat won't do anything to help.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas, I'll most likely just live with it. It's been that way since I got it a year and a half ago and it didn't bother me too much. Out of curiosity I asked a local shop how much it would be. I'd imagine that to closely match how it is now would be at least $1,500. I haven't heard back from the shop regarding their estimate. Either way I'm rocking it!

Comment

would it hurt to try to buff it out? probably not, in that case you would just be out some time, and still have your original paint job. if that dont work, then refinish.

Comment

You may be able to scuff the clear coat and let it gas off for a week or two.It might work but who knows.Then you could rebuff and see how it looks.Just a thought.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The shop told me it would be an iffy to wet sand the clear coat down to the original finish and it would be "VERY expensive" to redo the paint job to look as it is. I can live with it as it is, but when would the solvent popping have occurred? A year or two after it was painted? It still can't be occurring now, right? I even wonder if this was the original paint or some botched refin.

Comment

It would happen within a couple of hours after it was sprayed. Sorry options are few at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X