Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refret on neck-thru w\ binding more expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refret on neck-thru w\ binding more expensive?

I've never needed to have a guitar refretted before, but my 1990 Soloist Pro's frets are just about shot. I just came to this realization at a gig last night, playing the Pro live for the first time in years, and haven't contacted any shops yet. Should I expect to pay extra for a refret since it's a neck-thru guitar? How about due to the binding?
    sigpic

I wouldn't think neck-through would make a difference, but I'm pretty sure they'd have to redo the binding.
    Scott

Comment

My

My local guy quoted me $250 for a re-fret w/a bound neck...

Comment

Yes and yes. It's more difficult to work with an entire guitar than the neck alone, and the binding requires more work on the removal (can't tap out) and installation (additional tang work).
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I thought the binding was only an issue if it was over fret ends, could be wrong, but I thought I had done this on an older USA Soloist and the binding wasn't touched after the new frets were installed...
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The binding is no problem you pull the frets out from the top you never hammer them out from the side DUH!No you don't have to re-do the binding.If it has nibs they can get damaged and may have to be removed but no problem the pros didn't have nibs.
            There is no difference really between neck thru and bolt to me frets are frets.
            $ 225.00 is what I get for a bound neck $175.00 for un bound.
            Last edited by straycat; 07-30-2008, 12:24 AM.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You should spring for STAINLESS!

Comment

How the binding is applied also will effect the cost of the job and whether or not the fingerboard itself is finsihed.. assuming its rosewood or ebony and not maple, that shouldn't be an issue, but in regards to the binding; whether or not the frets go over the binding edge or if it has nibs covering the ends of the frets will effect the time and difficulty of the refret.
                DiMarzio Endorsee
                www.dimarzio.com
                Morley Endorsee
                www.morley.com
                "Intelli-Shred" author
                www.myspace.com/intellishred
                NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                  I thought the binding was only an issue if it was over fret ends, could be wrong, but I thought I had done this on an older USA Soloist and the binding wasn't touched after the new frets were installed...
                  You are correct - binding at the end of the frets ala Gibson just means even more money than frets on top of binding. The fret needs to fit perfectly between the binding nibs.

I have a 77 LP that could use a refret, but I'm just going to play it until it dies.

Comment

Very pricey for the binding over the frets. An option would be to have the luthier re level the fretboard before inserting frets with back cut fret tang. That way you dont have to pay extra for that type of situation. It is a real bitch. Never comes out as perfect as the factory version as the final dimension of the board is done with the frets in the board. Often times small gaps are needed to be filled with a mixture of acetone and chunks of binding mixed. But the prices mentioned here sound right.
                    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

No nibs on the fret ends, and an unfinished ebony board, so hopefully it's not excessively expensive. My "usual" guy for repairs and mods is starting to price himself right out of consideration, so I'm going to check out a couple of other shops that have more modest prices. This was my first high(er) end guitar, and I've already spent the money on a GMW refin a few years ago, so it's not like a refret would be a bad investment.

Here it is, under the lights for the first time in a long time:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X