I'm very close to buying an amp - JCM900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm very close to buying an amp - JCM900

I know I've been bugging you guys for a long time now, asking opinions on all kinds of different stuff, and I've gotten pretty close to buying a few times, but never closed the deal.

So, I've come to the conclusion that I just can't go wrong with a Marshall, and I figured, why spend more for an 800, when I can get basically the same amp, but with more gain on tap, for less money with a 900. I've seen them go on Ebay lately between $459-$800, and to me that's a bargain.

So now, I'm just torn between the 4100 dual reverb, or the SL-X. What I'd like to know, is what the difference is. From what I understand, they are both selectable between 50 & 100 watts. Does anyone know what the difference is? Also, should I go with the 6L6 version, or EL34?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Extra gain stage in the SL-X, and no reverb. EL-34's are usually in the 50 watt, and 6L6's were more common in the 100 watt.

Personally, I think the 9100 is going to be a better sounding amp - I always thought the SL-X got a bit buzzy. The SL-X is also harder to find, and usually costs more.

Comment

The SL-X has more gain and no reverb, IIRC.
      Scott

Comment

John and I owned 9100's..yeah, they're workable.

I prefer the 2210..it is the only JCM 800 with enough gain on tap without requiring a stomp. The SLX are thin and fizzy.

I think the lack of low end and gain makes the 900 kinda lame. Yes, they do have that "Marshall" tone and definition..something I found lacking in the DSL/TSL. At least the JVM and KK models are back on track as far as tone goes IMO...regardless of build issues.

But, it's your hands and your ears. You NEED to play one and hear it for yourself! Opinions are going to vary big time..this is something we can't decide for you. Personally, I don't think its for you. I'd rather you try a JCM 800 2210..they were my favorite Marshall "heads" I've ever owned...and I owned just about all of them in my 30 years!! I'm still a "Marshall guy"...
        Last edited by horns666; 07-29-2008, 01:14 PM. Reason: TYPOS..FUGGUMS
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i prefer the Dual Reverb.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Zeegs, you gotta play da muthafugga..with your face shoved right between the speakers..like they were a big set of tits. Only then will you taste the flavor of an amp's tone!

So sayeth 'Z Bub...
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I used to own a SL-X w/matching 412 cab...that fucker was LOUD!!
              Could do a very decent Master of Puppets tone with it...but I always found it a bit on the harsh/buzzy side so I got rid of it. Bet it could sound mean with some tweaking of tubes and maybe a different cab, or with a stomp in front.

Comment

I have a JCM900 50w Dual Reverb running EL34's and its the best sounding Marshall I have ever owned.
                I played through an SLX several times and I thought it was a little buzzy too. Its very loud too and you really can't turn it up without the cops coming or the club owner throwing you out!!
                I would highly suggest you look at a 50w JCM900. You can actually turn them up and that is when a Marshall sounds the best.

Comment

Go for the JCM 800. much better choice IMO
                  CURRENT GEAR SET UP
                  2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
                  1989 JACKSON KING V
                  1984 JACKSON RR
                  AXE FX II
                  MESA BOOGIE 2:90
                  DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
                  FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
                  (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
                  (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

I had a 4100 dual reverb head with 5881 power tubes. Bought it brand new this way, and all I can say is,,,,,,I wouldn't get one with 5881 tubes. It was very harsh and brittle sounding. I heard that EL34's make a world of difference. Unfortunately, I sold the amp before having someone convert it for the 34's.

Comment

Yep - 4500 seems to get the nod more often than not. That's what I had. Unfortunately it was at a time in life where I couldn't have a 50 watt half stack - apartment living.

Comment

I'm hoping to snag a 50 watt SL-X. It has EL34s, and is switchable between 25 & 50 watts. I'll most likely be running it thru a V30 loaded Lopoline 2X12. I realize it's not going to have anywhere near as much low end as my B-52, but that's sort of the point. Since my drummer died, the band is almost certainly done, at least for now, so the main purpose of the Marshall, will be for recording. The B-52 sounds great live, but for recording, it's difficult to get it to sound like it has enough of that high-mid bite. I believe a mix of the B-52 and the 900 will give me exactly what I want. Plus, if I can dial in a Crate Blue Voodoo and make it sound half decent, I'm pretty sure I can make a JCM900 sound good.

Comment

Originally posted by KINGSFAN View Post
                          Go for the JCM 800. much better choice IMO
                          +1 on that man!, spend the extra money on a JCM 800, you'll just end up selling the 900 to get one later!
                          BTW, I bought a 900 50watt SL-X with EL34's and sold it beause it didn't sound as good as my 800's with an o.d. pedal.

Comment

An 800 is just not an option for me right now. I'd be looking at at least another $400-500 bucks, and until I get off my ass and get a job, it ain't gonna happen.

Comment

Running a 4100 Dual Reverb and it covers everything from the clean funk chord comping to hard rock sounds that we need playing covers. It's a bright amp, so I keep the bass wide open and the treble down to 3, set mids to taste. It gets the job done.

I've never tried dialling it in for a good metal sound at volume because my band doesn't play metal anyway (and the neighbours wouldn't appreciate it at home)
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X