Anyone tried an Allparts Tremol-No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried an Allparts Tremol-No?

I've been thinking about getting one of these and was wondering if anyone has tried them.

If you do a search, I'm sure you will find many threads on this device. It has been discussed at length here. Also Kevin, the "inventor" is a member here. They are great and work very well!
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Personally I never saw the appeal of putting a device on a Floyded guitar that prevented it from working as it was intended, but whatever creams yer Twinkie.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Personally I never saw the appeal of putting a device on a Floyded guitar that prevented it from working as it was intended, but whatever creams yer Twinkie.
        This device is supposed to let you have it floating, dive only, or fixed with just the adjustment of a pin. It requires no permanant modding to the guitar and would enable me to just take one guitar to gigs or jam sessions where I need a floating trem for some songs but need to drop tune or do double stop bends for other songs. So essentially you'd be able to use the floyd as it was intended plus more.

Comment

I found the threads on it. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and get one. Seems like it'd really make a guitar more versitile.

Comment

I've used the Tremol-No on a few guitars. Once you get it set up, it works as it was designed for. Just a heads up though, it will slightly change the feel of your trem.

Comment

I've got on one of my Charvels and will be getting one for my other. Since I like to rest my hand on the bridge, I like having the bridge set for dive-only and be flush with the body.

I do like having a quick and easy way to allow the full range of motion too.

Comment

I put one in my Model 5fx that has an OFR in it.

The only reason I did it was that my band wanted to play some songs that require drop-d tuning. I prefer a fully floating floyd so normally I would just "fake" the drop-d songs by skipping low D and playing the 3rd and 5th of the D chord if that makes any sense. Usually as long as the bass guitar is chugging on the low D I can get away with it. But ... there were a few songs that my fake method just didn't give it enough low rumble ... e.g. where the bass is not playing.

Back to the tremol-no ... it was a pretty easy install. It's non-destructive in that you end up removing your old claw, but no additional holes needed in the guitar or anything like that. I'd recommend watching the video on their site as you do the install as it seemed to have some tips that were absent from the written instructions.

The device works pretty well but has some quirks. First ... it's not instantaneous to switch ... you have to look at the back of the spring cavity and tighten or loosen some thumb screws depending on whether you are turning it on or off or whether you are changing to dive only or hardtail. if you accidentally back the screw out too much it falls out on the floor at a gig where there are dim lights and who knows what on the floor it can be an issue. They give you an extra just in case it happens. To me that is a design flaw and they should have it so the screws can't easily fall out. To help with this I put the teflon tape stuff on the threads which makes them a little tighter and less chance to fall out. Once you actually switch it "on", so to speak, it works as advertized ... dive only or totally locked in place depending on what you want. I have noticed that if I set for dive only and then drop from an E to a D that I sometimes have to do a little bit of fine tuning on the other strings ... just a tad. I think this has to do with applying too much pressure when tightening the thumb screws as it can budge the tremolo just a bit before it gets locked down.

Anyhow ... I have only had this in the guitar for a few weeks and have not gigged with it yet. I'm thinking to also put a d-tuna on this guitar for kicks just to make the changeover from E to D faster.

Dave
                Dave

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
                    I put one in my Model 5fx that has an OFR in it.

The only reason I did it was that my band wanted to play some songs that require drop-d tuning. I prefer a fully floating floyd so normally I would just "fake" the drop-d songs by skipping low D and playing the 3rd and 5th of the D chord if that makes any sense. Usually as long as the bass guitar is chugging on the low D I can get away with it. But ... there were a few songs that my fake method just didn't give it enough low rumble ... e.g. where the bass is not playing.

Back to the tremol-no ... it was a pretty easy install. It's non-destructive in that you end up removing your old claw, but no additional holes needed in the guitar or anything like that. I'd recommend watching the video on their site as you do the install as it seemed to have some tips that were absent from the written instructions.

The device works pretty well but has some quirks. First ... it's not instantaneous to switch ... you have to look at the back of the spring cavity and tighten or loosen some thumb screws depending on whether you are turning it on or off or whether you are changing to dive only or hardtail. if you accidentally back the screw out too much it falls out on the floor at a gig where there are dim lights and who knows what on the floor it can be an issue. They give you an extra just in case it happens. To me that is a design flaw and they should have it so the screws can't easily fall out. To help with this I put the teflon tape stuff on the threads which makes them a little tighter and less chance to fall out. Once you actually switch it "on", so to speak, it works as advertized ... dive only or totally locked in place depending on what you want. I have noticed that if I set for dive only and then drop from an E to a D that I sometimes have to do a little bit of fine tuning on the other strings ... just a tad. I think this has to do with applying too much pressure when tightening the thumb screws as it can budge the tremolo just a bit before it gets locked down.

Anyhow ... I have only had this in the guitar for a few weeks and have not gigged with it yet. I'm thinking to also put a d-tuna on this guitar for kicks just to make the changeover from E to D faster.

Dave
                    Dave Good info!

I have the old versions and the new versions. (I have 11 of them)
                    The old version has the trem block clamp which is more flexible for variations in block thicknesses. If it had a negative, the clamp could slide sideways, hence the new design with the "pin" in the trem block clamp. Both work fine if setup properly.

Another hint, put a drop of silicone goop on the threads of the knurled knob that locks the trem block shaft for "hardtail" to "trem" action. They have a tendancy to disappear when loosened Otherwise, plan on stocking up on spares since finding a little black thumb screw on a stage after a gig, or in the carpet of you bedroom is a real pain
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I got mine when they first came out.
                      The only problem I had was at a gig. For some reason
                      I could not stay in tune.
                      I tuned up, played and I was out of tune.
                      Very embarrassing. Every time I tuned up it went out of tune.
                      After inspecting it i noticed that a tab on the CLAW, that's on
                      the block had moved and was touching one of the Floyd's springs.
                      This effected the tuning.
                      I removed the claw part and sanded off the tabs on the Clamp claw.
                      It's been fine ever since.

Comment

Timely thread. I just bought one of these today for the same reasons as you guys... to do drop D tuning on a floating bridge. $65 is kinda steep IMO, but if it works, it will be worth it.

Comment

Working...
                        X