Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 connection switch to 3 connection switch hack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 connection switch to 3 connection switch hack?

Maybe I'm simple, but I'm having trouble figuring this out...I've just transplanted an EMG 81/SA/SA set into a Hohner G3T (budget metal travel guitar ), and it's a slightly unconventional layout. It has volume + tone, and 3 switches; 2 switches are A/B (3 connectors), 1 is A/B/C (6 connectors) for a coil tap.

I've got the 'normal' connector switches functioning just fine on the SAs, but failed a few times wiring up the other before giving up and just soldering the 81 to always on (). Is there a simple hack to turn A/B/C into A/B?

I'm thinking of installing this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...witch&doy=26m7

The 6-connector switch is double-pole, double-throw, meaning it has two poles (actually sliders) inside the housing that contact the 2 outer prongs of the switch on either side when flipped to those positions.
    The 2 center prongs are the common connection between the 2 pairs of outer prongs.

Your 3-connector switches work the same way, just without the extra middle connection.

What all that means is that you will have to either put a regular 3-connector switch in place of the 6-connector, since you won't be splitting the 81, or you can wire the 81 to BOTH prongs on one end of the switch, and wire both center prongs to the centers of the other 2 switches.

That will give you the A/B effect as far as the signal goes, but the switch choices will still be A/B/C. It's just that A will be On and both B and C will be Off.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks, I may give that a go...I got another 3-prong switch but the earthing strips on the sides refuse to accept the solder

I got pissed off enough with the tiny cavity that I'm probably going to rip out the tone pot, install a big switch through that hole for the humbucker, move the 2 smaller switches down a hole and stick a press-to-kill button in the first hole. Either that or just have 2 switches, 1 for hum and 1 A/B/C for the neck/middle...I'm not too bothered about the holes (strictly utilitarian guitar/stick) and may aid volume swells.

Is it possible to wire said 6-prong switch for Gibson style A/A+B/B control or do I need another switch?

Comment

Working...
      X