Another(?) EMG question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another(?) EMG question!

I have a Epiphone Zakk Wylde LP that has the stock EMG HZs and I want to drop a set of his 81/85 set in it. Question is, do I have to change out the whole wiring system,jack and pots? or can you just use whats in there already since there EMGs?????
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

You have to change the pots and cap, and EMG say change the jack too (though I didn't bother on the 81/SA/SA set I just dropped into a hohner with EMG selects). The ZW set comes with everything you need.

Comment

Originally posted by KMud View Post
      You have to change the pots and cap, and EMG say change the jack too (though I didn't bother on the 81/SA/SA set I just dropped into a hohner with EMG selects). The ZW set comes with everything you need.
      If it's not a stereo jack, then your battery will die pretty quickly. The passive EMG HZs and Selects don't need a stereo jack, but the active EMGs do.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ah, thought there was a reason, thanks.

Comment

No problem. Passive pickups can use a stereo or regular jack, but the actives need the stereo jack to activate the battery so the pickups work. When the cable goes in, the battery is being used, so you also need to make sure to unplug the cable when you're done playing, to shut off the battery power.
          If using the EMGs without a stereo jack, it's like the battery on and draining current all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            No problem. Passive pickups can use a stereo or regular jack, but the actives need the stereo jack to activate the battery so the pickups work. When the cable goes in, the battery is being used, so you also need to make sure to unplug the cable when you're done playing, to shut off the battery power.
            If using the EMGs without a stereo jack, it's like the battery on and draining current all the time.
            What is the point of a stereo jack in a passive pickup config though or in a mono speaker setup where it is used like a mono jack out of interest?

Comment

So I DO have to change out everything! Thanks again for your guys knowedge in these matters...........
              "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                What is the point of a stereo jack in a passive pickup config though or in a mono speaker setup where it is used like a mono jack out of interest?
                Usually you find a stereo jack in a passive setup if there was an active circuit that had been removed, like the AfterBurner or the Jackson electronics.

In a speaker setup, it's probably so you can rewire it for stereo operation.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Why not just get the Zakk Wylde set from EMG?
                  It is for a Les Paul, and everything is already pre-wired, you just drop it in.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                    I suppose you could then split the signal and send one channel to one amp and one to another. I think the Parker Fly has a stereo jack that enables you to put the piezo output to one amp and the pickup output to another.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by nikopapp View Post
                      Why not just get the Zakk Wylde set from EMG?
                      It is for a Les Paul, and everything is already pre-wired, you just drop it in.
                      Not quite. The pots are wired together, but you still have to solder the quick-connect wires to the pots and the jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                        I suppose you could then split the signal and send one channel to one amp and one to another. I think the Parker Fly has a stereo jack that enables you to put the piezo output to one amp and the pickup output to another.
                        Doesn't the Parker have two separate jacks, though, so you can send two different outputs to two different amps? A regular stereo jack is still only one jack, but I think it's got an extra prong for turning on/off the active electronics.

Comment

You can run a stereo guitar cable into a splitter that sends two signals to two amps, though. With a guitar that has 2 outputs, you need 2 cables.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            Doesn't the Parker have two separate jacks, though, so you can send two different outputs to two different amps? A regular stereo jack is still only one jack, but I think it's got an extra prong for turning on/off the active electronics.
                            My Parker Nitefly Mojo has 1 jack...I didn't know I could split the signal though

Comment

Ah. I know I've seen other guitars with two jacks before. Carvin has the two jack option on some models with the piezo pickup... the acoustic tone can go out to one amp and the electric tone to another. I believe if you don't have two cables, the two signals go off one jack and will get summed into one amp and you can blend between them with the guitar's controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X