9V AC AND DC power adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9V AC AND DC power adapter

I see that most of the pedals we use, need 9V DC power. But I have a pedal that needs a 9V AC. I'm forced to carry another power adapter. Do you guys know of a single power adapter that can power both AC and DC power reqs? I found one which says that can do both, but its got a selector switch which means I can either have it running as an AC or DC but not both.

thanks
    Sam

unless I'm missing something here .

you cannot run both direct current and alternating current at the same time through the same signal path

they're not compatible (in that manner)
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Well, if not same path, how about different paths? Basically, one 110V source, two transformers...one supplies AC and the other DC each with different ports. Sounds like a good project for my brother.
      Sam

Comment

Try putting 9v DC into the AC pedal.

Comment

That was the first thing I tried None of the pedals came on. I have a godlyke power-all which has enough juice to power up to 10 pedals. I use only 4 pedals and have lot of juice to spare. ...i.e if this pedal would accept DC.
          Sam

Comment

Found it! Well, almost... One power adapter with both 9V DC and well, a 12V AC.

http://www.music123.com/T-Rex-Fuel-T...22358.Music123

Sam

Comment

If you open the power supply you can just solder a cable before the rectifier bridge (just after the transformer 110v to 9v) and you 'll have AC from there.

In fact an AC 9v power source is just a transformer !!!

This way you 'll have both AC (from these soldered cables) and DC from the factory cable. Just take care if you run both AC and DC at the same time check that the total current is less than the maximun power source current! (Otherwise the transformer will be overpowered and eventually fryed)

Hope it helps

PS: if you need I could post some schematics later
              sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                If you open the power supply you can just solder a cable before the rectifier bridge (just after the transformer 110v to 9v) and you 'll have AC from there.

In fact an AC 9v power source is just a transformer !!!

This way you 'll have both AC (from these soldered cables) and DC from the factory cable. Just take care if you run both AC and DC at the same time check that the total current is less than the maximun power source current! (Otherwise the transformer will be overpowered and eventually fryed)

Hope it helps

+1 - smart idea.

The only issue is that the AC will probably be a little higher than 9v in order to deal with the rectifier (and possible a SS regulator). Probably not high enough to cause an issue.

Comment

check that the total current is less than the maximun power source current!
                  That part, I did not understand. In essence, you're asking to bypass the circuit that converts the AC to DC right?

That would simply be awesome! Thanks!
                  Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                    That part, I did not understand. In essence, you're asking to bypass the circuit that converts the AC to DC right?
                    Yes, get the AC right off of the transformer's secondary, bypassing the rectifier and filtering caps.

Comment

Working...
                    X