picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• picks

I've been playin' guitar for a while, and if there's one thing that still eludes me, it's finding that one pick that works. I've tried them all, too- Big Stubby, Jim Dunlop Delrin/Tortex, heavy/medium/thin, large/medium/small, you name it.

While I've had luck with some brands (namely Clayton acetal acetate rounded triangle picks in .50MM), I still find that they all have a major flaw- I can't hold on to them to save my life.

For you see... I was cursed with REALLY shallow fingerprints on my finger tips. If the slightest amount of sweat gets on my fingers, watch out for those picks will be flying out like shuriken. It's actually happened on a number of occasions, too. I can be holding onto the pick for dear life too, and it won't matter, either.

I've recently started using these new picks made by Dava called "Control Grips" that have a kind of rubber coating on them, but there are even times when THEY'LL wanna work themselves loose.

So I gotta ask- what do YOU out there use for picks, and -more importantly- do they work?

I just use red dunlop jazz III's - they are slippery but I like them that way.

Normal dunlop Tortex picks are WAY too sticky for me, especially when they're brand new.

Comment

Jazz III here too, preferably black.

Many a JCFer has weighed in on this subject over the years:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40129

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7668

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492

Comment

Jazz tortex for me.

Comment

Never tried them but they look interesting:
          http://www.v-picks.com/
          Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Hey DD, I have EXACTLY the same problem. Until I was a bedroom guitarist, I had no problems holding onto them Jazz III's and dunlop nylon's. However, the moment I started practicing in a band on hot sweaty afternoons, I started having a problem with them picks slipping away. Sometimes I'll end up playing with the wrong end of the picks and my band mates are looking at me, wtf cause they cant hear the notes I'm playin.

Anyway, back to the problem...I had these velcro strips left over after I finished putting some at the back of my pedals. I cut small pieces of the "hook" velcro's and stuck pieces of it on the picks. now, I can stick as many picks I want onto the velcro on my pedal board, AND they dont slip no more. Hope that helps.
            Sam

Comment

Look up Cool picks. They have a little rubber grip bonded on them that helps.

Personally I scribe a tic tac toe board pattern on my pics lightly with a razor blade & they stick to my fingers
              http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

My vote goes to the V-pick.I used to have the same problem and the V-pick solved it.I have been using my V-pick for about six months now and I play 2-3 hrs a day and I can't wear this pick out.
                I like the more mid range tones I get too.All I can say is they work very well for me your mileage may vary.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I use Tortex Jazz IIIs. Really stiff, and they don't wear out quickly at all.

Comment

Originally posted by J_A / 540s View Post
                    Look up Cool picks. They have a little rubber grip bonded on them that helps.
                    Yup, I did get one of those too. Did not help.

BTW, all you guys recommending the v-picks, which ones do you guys recommend ? The website lists 20 different types.
                    Sam

Comment

Try roughing up a tortex pick with some heavy grit sandpaper. You could also try going to an athletic supply store and getting some Stickum to apply to the grip end of the pick.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Another solution may be that Gorilla Snot, which is designed for picks and being able to hold on IIRC. I love my red Jazz threes for most, but if I need to thicken it up just a hair for classic rock or chords I go to Fender Mediums and Heavies. Yes The Jazz IIIs slip, but the best solution is to keep some either on your guitar somewhere (pick holder, under the pickguard, somewhere with double sided tape, whatever) so you can just throw the slipping one into the crowd and grab another.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've tried the Tortex route (as well as the Jazz 3's) and have even gone so far as to rough them up with sandpaper and (in one case) a light acid dipping, which didn't seem to work too well.

I've also tried "Gorilla Snot" as well, and that's been a rather... well... messy experience. LOL

So far, the picks that seem to work for me are those DAVA "Control Grip" picks, which have all sorts of injection-molded madness goin' on. While the grip is pretty nice, I don't totally dig that whole "three thicknesses in one just by altering your grip" business as it seems to be more like a gimmick than anything else.

If anyone else has got any suggestions, please speak up. I'm dying to go out and blow my money on pick purchases. LOL

Comment

picks

> I get these picks from Everly Music that are the exact same as Dunlop Tortex,but have a star shaped hole in them for grip.

I used to know a local guy that used little pieces of glue-backed 400 sandpaper on his Fender heavies. Tommy D.
                            "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
                              Never tried them but they look interesting:
                              http://www.v-picks.com/
                              I use these, so does straycat. THE BEST PICKS EVER!!!

DrDestruction, email Vinnie through his website and ask for a sample pick. He is literally the coolest guy ever. He'll send you one for free with no hassle. Just email him and tell him about your problem on the search for the right pick, he'll most likely be more than happy to send one to you.

TRUST ME!!! THE BEST!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X