Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's best way to remove corrosion from hardware

Hi all ,

I've seen some very good advice from some of you guys.So I thought I'd look for some advice as to what's best way to remove corrosion from hardware(fine tuner screws ,top of magnetic poles on pup's )

All good suggestions welcomed
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

I use this: http://www.wd40.com/

And that's it...!

You'll get the rust off with a nice bath of that but the component will probably be kinda etched or pitted if the rust is bad.

HOWEVER:

WD40 has a tendency, some say, to actually ATTRACT dirt grime and lint over time. This is kinda true.

I am sure there are other ways/product, eg. lemon juice, bicarbonate of soda, something in a can etc.
    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Thanks for your input - I've used wd before , but I was kind of hoping there was something better .I ended up using wd on old guitar earlier - wanted to try out new fret board conditioner (there's before and after pics in the lizard spit thread
      Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Not sure if this relates to your issues or not but to clean a neck plate (for future reference anyway.) But I used crumpled up aluminum foil and 000 steel wool. Worked like a charm
        07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

if you clean the WD40 off really good after cleaning, it shouldnt be much of a problem.

Comment

Gorgomyte
            http://www.gorgomyte.com/

Comment

3-36 Industrial is the same stuff as WD40, but at around half the price. I find it does not attract grit like WD40 does, as it is a bit less "Sticky". If you're really concerned, i would experiment with some anti-seizes which are simply made to unstick stuck metal rather than actually lubricate it. You could also try some Scotch-Bright pads, but be warned these could damage the bobbin of the pickup by marking it up.

Comment

I just bought a Charvel Model 3A and the trem had some green corrosion and red rust on the chrome piece that supports the string lock/fine tuner screws. I used a dremel tool with a wire bristle bit to get off the "chunky" bits to get back down to the metal and then sprayed on some WD40 and let it sit for a day. Seemed to do the trick.

Dave
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                X