Tech question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech question

Whats the opinion or general consensus on the board regarding leaving a guitar neck with no strings on for a considerable amount of time, say one year.

Also, I was attempting to loosen the truss rod on a warlock that seldom gets played and noticed that the nut was moving a little to freely for my liking. Turns out the top of the nut, basically the end bit where the truss rod tool or similar slips on came right off. I don't think I've ever loosened the truss rod on this particular guitar so I wasn't aware of this.

Is this as bad as it sounds, or worse.

I don't think the truss rod is damaged just the end bit.

Cheers

If you leave the guitar in a case and in a controlled climate condition, I see no reason for concern for the strings to be off the neck for that time period. I have plenty of old vintage guitars I have restored that have had the tension off for that amount of time.
    New, or unfinished necks that are stored should be at least sealed with Nelsonite, oil, lacquer or a Urethane finish before storing.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The only problem I could see with leaving strings off is that the neck would have nothing to counteract the truss rod and would therefore warp itself over time. I'd just take the strings off and then adjust the truss rod so there was no relief. That should keep everything in line.
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        The only problem I could see with leaving strings off is that the neck would have nothing to counteract the truss rod and would therefore warp itself over time. I'd just take the strings off and then adjust the truss rod so there was no relief. That should keep everything in line.
        I was thinking the same thing.

Dan Erlewine has a Q&A section in the LesPaulForum. Might want to ask him what he thinks.

Comment

Why bother taking the strings off? The guitar is supposed to have string tension on it.

Even guitars that are being "played" usually are not being touched during most of the day. What's the difference between that and "storage"?

Comment

I'm with thettry, many people have vintage guitar collections and have them stored for years at a time strung up.
            They never take the strings off or loosen them.
            You don't need to do that, just store it as is and it will be fine.

Comment

The reason was that the guitar needed some repairs done. Between the repairs and sourcing a couple of parts and the fact that money has been kinda tight lately I've kept putting it off. That's gonna change soon so I won't feel as bad about spending money on guitar repairs. I will loosen the truss rod to take some pressure off and see how it goes when I get it back together.

Any ideas on my other problem?

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                Why bother taking the strings off? The guitar is supposed to have string tension on it.

Even guitars that are being "played" usually are not being touched during most of the day. What's the difference between that and "storage"?
                I decided "not" to ask this question as I have two project guitars that are approaching 20 years old without being finished. I've left the truss rod nut loose on both.

Comment

Working...
                X