QC issues with Seymour Duncan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QC issues with Seymour Duncan?

I got an edwards LP custom off ebay last year brand new with SD Distortion and 59 pickups in it. The distortion would squeel like a pig at loud volumes, and the 59 was fine for a few months. Then every now and then the output from it was at least halved. Maybe one of the coils in it crapped out? The 59 has been replaced with an old single conductor 59 and had no problems, so the output cut was definitely caused by the pickup. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had QC issues with SD or if I was just extremely unlucky getting 2 defective pickups in a new guitar. And incase anyone is wondering, the pickups were definitely authentic.

Maybe it was the factory wiring? Personally I've never had any trouble with... any of the main brands (SD, Dimarzio, EMG) that I've used.

Comment

Im pretty sure it wasn't the way they were wired. The neck pickup was intermittently going between full and cut output for a few months before it stayed at the cut output permanently. Replacing the pickups is the only thing I've done to the guitar and i've had no problems since.

Comment

That often is an issue with the switch, either bad solder joints or a bad switch. The only "issue" I've noticed with Duncan is you can sometimes see a little variance in the JB pickup, probably depending on who wound it.

Comment

Hmmmm, I guess it's a possibility. I'll throw the 59 into another guitar and see how it goes.

Comment

The only issue I've ever had was with the red and green wires being reversed on JB zebra.
            -Rick

Comment

Well, it's used pickups. The 4-conductor wire is prone to breaking when gotten in and out of guitars all the time.

The squeal can be caused by the whole pickup being too loose in the screws and springs. You would have to narrow down holding which part makes it go away.

If you bought the DD used it's also possible somebody did magnet changes and didn't bother to re-pot it. That's unfortunately very common these days.

Or Seymour Duncan screwed up. Happens, too

Comment

Working...
              X