Anyone have a axe that is PLEK'ed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a axe that is PLEK'ed?

I watched the vid of this process and must say it looks like a fret miracle!
    the accuracy and the details that go into this must have amazing results?
    anyone have a guitar that has this process done to it?
    overall opinions?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

No but IMO the way it looks finished looks like shit.Uneven frets some wider than others some taller than others just ruins the overall look.
    Now this was on a $8000.00 L.P. mind you.IMO its Gibsons way of cutting out the process of making sure the fret board is the right radius just throw the frets in and let the machine make up for inconsistancies in the fingerboard.
    The owner wanted the frets replaced and fingerboard radius fixed.
    For what its worth I don't buy into the hype.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I think the concept is interesting. With the traditional approach, the frets are leveled with the board straight and no strings, and the way it comes out once strung up is kind of "pot luck".

Comment

I have a Plekked Fender HM.

I have approx 25 guitars, including some pretty expensive ones (Vigier for instance).

When I got my Vigier, I thought "this will be my Miss Number 1 for evaaaar..." and it's good. I put away all my other guitars.

But...after a few weeks...out came the Fender HM with the miracle Plek neck. So I have two guitars on my stand now. The HM and the Vigier. Every other one is in cases. A Model 6, a 750 XL, various strats (and I PREFER strats over ANYTHNG) etc etc.

Why?

Because the HM neck/fretwork is perfect and it feels amazing. True insane quality. I have other HMs. Difference between those and the Plekkie are very noticable. Basically: nice med. low action, gorgeous string transitions (i.e. moving round the neck) no buzzing, and the "feel" is godly.

But that's just me.

Witht eh HM too, the neck radius and fret radius vs. trem radius are different I think. This went someway to match them up right. Anyway, I love the effin' thing now. If you have a high or mid level axe and want to give it a go, I say shoot for it, and see. Was worth it for me!!
        http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
          I have a Plekked Fender HM.

I have approx 25 guitars, including some pretty expensive ones (Vigier for instance).

When I got my Vigier, I thought "this will be my Miss Number 1 for evaaaar..." and it's good. I put away all my other guitars.

But...after a few weeks...out came the Fender HM with the miracle Plek neck. So I have two guitars on my stand now. The HM and the Vigier. Every other one is in cases. A Model 6, a 750 XL, various strats (and I PREFER strats over ANYTHNG) etc etc.

Why?

Because the HM neck/fretwork is perfect and it feels amazing. True insane quality. I have other HMs. Difference between those and the Plekkie are very noticable. Basically: nice med. low action, gorgeous string transitions (i.e. moving round the neck) no buzzing, and the "feel" is godly.

But that's just me.

Witht eh HM too, the neck radius and fret radius vs. trem radius are different I think. This went someway to match them up right. Anyway, I love the effin' thing now. If you have a high or mid level axe and want to give it a go, I say shoot for it, and see. Was worth it for me!!
          yeah a guy with a framus said his played like god did the fret work.
          See i like a crazy low action(ala holdsworth) i can never get the frets dressed to perfection and i thought from what i read/watched/heard that this plek is the miracle i have been waiting for.
          your HM got a OFR or the spyder?
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
            yeah a guy with a framus said his played like god did the fret work.
            See i like a crazy low action(ala holdsworth) i can never get the frets dressed to perfection and i thought from what i read/watched/heard that this plek is the miracle i have been waiting for.
            your HM got a OFR or the spyder?
            S'got the Spyder.

If you have about $130 for a setup, it's worth a go. And if your axe will beenfit and be used enough etc. And if $130 ain't too much for you to spend on something.

If you do decide, I hope you like what the robot does...

Comment

I understand the process of pleking, but how does a plek job respond to temperature/climate changes? Seems to me that if the neck changes slightly due to these changes, you're basically fucked.
              "POOP"

Comment

That seems pretty cool ,but I'm agreeing with the question , how sensitive will this be ???wanthairspray how long have you been playing those guitars -do they travel out ??do they still feel the same as the day you got them ??
                Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                  I understand the process of pleking, but how does a plek job respond to temperature/climate changes? Seems to me that if the neck changes slightly due to these changes, you're basically fucked.
                  that was a concern of mine
                  since any fret dressing is subject to this i do not see a plekked axe being any different?

Comment

Well, if Gibson is pleking all of their guitars, it must be a good thing, right?
                    "POOP"

Comment

My Gibson '57 (R7) VOS was Plek'd. It's dead on as I was taking the guitar apart to clean the VOS junk (spooge) off the guitar. I put it up on the bench and checked the neck over. Very good work and zero tolerence over the length of the entire neck.

I would say extreme climate changes would affect the setup, like any standard fret prep, but mine has stayed perfect over the past year.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I want a good fret job in the first place so they dont need much leveling. Once you've played them down a bit and need some more work your already patching things up imho. I jokingly asked my old man if he'd let a robot touch one of his 50's big bodies and I've never heard him say no so quickly

Comment

I've seen it done and played many guitars that have been through the process. Is it good? Yes. Is it supernatural or inhuman? No. A GOOD tech can get a guitar to play just as well, IMO. As for the climate effect on the guitar, the climate only affects the wood in the neck and the string tension and neck bow, not the frets themselves. Once you adjust the truss rod accordingly the frets will go back to being leveled.

Comment

I see what yer saying fellas. Bascially it's like any guitar neck, but just ultra perfect fretworks and action. They'll ask you what style you play and how low medium or high you want to go. Strip the strings and you'll probably have to shell out for a new packet (sometimes not included, see...)

As savage says, like any guitar, it may adjust to hi's and lo's of humidity. But just because it has a good high tolerance fret job, doesn't mean it'll go out of tune more or lose the action or setup. Well, not in my experience!

I don't take the HM round much, I use the Vigier now for band practice/gigs, as it has maple neck (and I prefer maple by a long long way...and the HM is a rosewood neck, which again shows that I can't keep my hands off it...!)

So I can't say much about how it would respond to climate variation, only to say I have not noticed anything weirding out or starting to buzz etc. Mind you climate variation is not so great here in England. Normal temperate conditions.

It feels the same as I got it, after it was done a few years back. Same beautiful "flow" around the neck...(best way I can describe). It had a pro set up with the Plek which may help matters, but there is something there that the Plek does that is hard to pin down.

Comment

Since you like the HM so much have you considered getting your Vigier Pleked? What is keeping you from having that done?

I have been interested in the plek for some time now. I have not had one done for two reasons. I can't find anyone in my area that does it and the cost. When I checked on prices it was $200-$250. Most seem to charge more for floyded guitars too.

Comment

Working...
                              X