Talcum powder on back of neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talcum powder on back of neck?

Anyone ever tried using a little baby powder on the back of their painted guitar neck in order to make it a little faster? I love my RR1's but I must admit that I prefer the feel of bare wood necks on my Ibanez over these painted ones because they feel a little sticky sometimes. I just worry if the powder might actually scratch the finish with micro hairlines or otherwise mess it up somehow. Kind of a weird thought I know, anyone ever tried it?

I dont think the powder will scratch the finish, however, it might get in the way of playing. especially if you're doing bends and stuff, and if the powder gets onto the tip of fingers, I would think it would slip a lot.

I used baby wipes to clean a used cab that was dirty. Cleaned the mofo right up. however, my kid was not all too happy when she saw me using up her wipes.
    Sam

Comment

You can polish the neck, too. Maybe some wax?

Powder will stick when it heats up, or if you're sweating while playing.

If you intend to keep the guitar, have the finish stripped off the neck and have it oiled to your liking.

Or you can just scuff the finish up with sandpaper, however, the act of playing will smooth it out again over time.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        If you intend to keep the guitar, have the finish stripped off the neck and have it oiled to your liking.
        this is the ONLY real fix for those that prefer a bare neck on neck thru's.
        This is featured on the $5000 zakk wylde LP and if it is done correctly
        may even make the axe more valuable to some IF you ever want to sell it
        If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
          if it is done correctly
          may even make the axe more valuable to some IF you ever want to sell it
          I've seen some guitars on the bay sell for way, way less than usual just because the paint at the back was stripped off. Some even quote the stripping being done by professionals, but nevertheless it sells for dirt cheap. I saw a ESP (M something) sell for a little under $450 just because the paint at the back of the neck was stripped off. The other completed listings showed them sell for over $800 otherwise.

But believe me, your palms will adapt to it. Dont worry too much about it and keep playing as you normally will. You will get over it.
          Sam

Comment

Yeah, I appreciate the feedback but I won't strip the finish off. Too bad there's not a less drastic solution. I guess I'll just have to get used to it! Thanks for the comments

Comment

powder good!
              Just ask Ross
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJXsisTrstQ :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
              X