volume/tone knobs wobbly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volume/tone knobs wobbly

Here's a question I am not sure anyone has asked, but I was wondering if anyone has any wobble in their volume/tone knobs? I had to replace the volume pot on my bcsb dk1, and the knob will rock back and forth a little, which will loosen the knob in time. I am wondering if anyone else has this type of issue and has any good suggestions on making the knobs fit snuggly on the pots.

Thanks
    "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

So it's just the knob and not the pot?

If your pots are split-shaft, and the knobs have a pointy screw, drive the screw into the split.

If you have a flat screw, you can either crush the shaft from the side (which will make the knob crooked) or align it with the split.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've had this issue with all my guitars, since I often do the "pinky swell" where You pick and swell up every note with Your pinky, even while playing quite fast, I've found no good solution to this save removing and reattaching the knob from time to time - but even that doesn't 'really' do it.
      - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

It is a split shaft. The screw, however, doesn't have a point, so the shaft isn't opening up. I replaced the volume pot because on half of the split shaft broke off. I was thinking of putting a sort of sleeve in the knob to give it a better fit on the post. I may make a trip to OSH tomorrow to see what I can find. If I get something that works, I'll let you know.
        "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Find a knob that actually fits the pot shaft.
          There is a set screw use it.
          That is one problem I've never had I don't know why every one else does.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Align the screw with the split in the shaft, not with one of the halves, then crank it as tight as you can.

It shouldn't go anywhere unless it's a junker knob whose screw hole is oversized for the screw, and that's why it's slipping.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Align the screw with the split in the shaft...
              This is how I normally do it. In my mind, if the screw sets on a solid piece, the shaft willbend, the break someday. (I think this is has was done at the shop I bought it from as when I received it one half of the shaft was bent in...I straightened it and it was good for a few months. Then one day,the knob fell off because the shaft broke.

Maybe I should see about replacing the set screw with a pointy one...

Comment

Not all knobs have interchangeable screws - you'd probably have to replace the whole knob.

Comment

Working...
                X