EMG's & Mahogany Tone Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG's & Mahogany Tone Q&A

When using EMG's on Mahogany guitars do you loose any tone, or does it boost tone?
    According To The Prophecy

Woods dont seem to matter much to EMG's as opposed to passives. If you really want to keep the tone of the mahogany, stay passive IMO.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I really thought EMG's as neutral in tone when placed in any wood guitar. I have them in many different wood similar style guitars and really don't hear a difference.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The guitar I'm thinking of getting comes with a set of EMG's in it. I have a KBRR with an EMG 81 it sounds great but it's my first Mahogany guitar. Was wondering how much of a change in tone there is.
        According To The Prophecy

Comment

EMGs will sound different in any guitar you put them in, just like passive pickups. EMGs are more consistent in their tone, but the wood also plays a part. I've got a set of EMGs in my all mahogany Les Paul Studio, 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck, and they rule. They definitely boost the tone compared to the old Burstbucker Pro pups that were in it.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't think you're hearing as much of the wood tone as the EMG preamp tone, especially compared to passives.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm with Newc - I never really liked the EMG tone since it feels so sterile, You can never really pick up nuances about the guitar. I'm sure they sound different in different woods, but my guess is not as different as something like a PAF.

That's why EMGs are such a good 'fix' for a cheaper guitar, and in my opinion a little of a waste with a good tonewood guitar. But that's just me.
              - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

EMG's won't color the tone of the wood, but it will give you a more compressed output.
                I personally prefer them in my guitars, but I run the 18V mod on them to get more headroom and I have no problems with a "sterile" or cold sound.

Comment

Working...
                X