Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High End, High Gain amp suggestions

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a really awesome high gain boutique amp. I'm currently using a 5150 block letter with a Sonic Stomp Sonic Maximizer infront and a Marshall 1960B cab. I really like the bite of the lead channel but definitely could use some more gain, low end, and mids. The clean channel I really don't like. It's too sharp for me...not warm enough. I tried out a Marshall JVM and the cleans were amazing! But not enough gain imo I'd really like a head with a solo boost or a separate volume pot for the lead channel and a good FX loop cause I want to get rack stuff soon too.

There's a couple different heads I've been looking at but I'm having a hard time deciding. The ENGL Powerball seems like the head for me especially after watching the GuitarWorld review on it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJq0MsAJ-TQ), however a good friend of mine (SpinalArcitect) told me the Powerball isn't built the greatest and is a bitch to fix. I really need a solid head that can withstand gigging because my band gigs at least once a month. So that made me pretty sad. Also been considering an Uberschall, VHT, and a Randall George Lynch sig. I was hoping for price around $2500 new or used. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Oh yeah my main axe is a USA KV with SD Blackouts!

Soldano SLO 100!

Comment

The Kerry King Marshall with the KV+Blackouts will give you a Children of Bodom Blooddrunk tone.You could try it out.
      Also the Engl is what Mille Petrozza from Kreator uses and he has a good tone IMO,listen to the song Enemy of God it has good tone.
      http://www.myspace.com/bothendsofthepath
      Anyone have a je-1000 or je-1200 availible?

Comment

Originally posted by Bodomhc View Post
        The Kerry King Marshall with the KV+Blackouts will give you a Children of Bodom Blooddrunk tone.You could try it out.
        Also the Engl is what Mille Petrozza from Kreator uses and he has a good tone IMO,listen to the song Enemy of God it has good tone.

John C of Beyond fear was hell bent to buy that amp. He encouraged me to try it..it was pretty cool..the built-in noise gate is a nice feature.

Butr then I plugged into the JVM that was sitting on top of it and ..well, it kicked its ass hard..John quickly had to reconsider..

The best of the best in High gain amps..UBERSCHALL..Nothing I've played , owned or heard comes even close IMO!!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bogner Ubers, VHT Pits, Rivera Ks, Engl Savages. That's where I'd spend that kind of dough. Powerball is a killer recording amp though, as I'm sure you already know.

Comment

The SLO100 is everything a 5150 wants to be when it grows up.
            It has all the characteristics you are looking for.
            Of course.. how could you go wrong with an Uber though.

Comment

Bogner Uberschall has no equal and at $2500 you are close to new and used prices +/- a few dollars. The Gain channel just kills on that amp. The clean is not bad either but it is sort of mis-matched in volume compared to the high gain channel for live use. I basically have my clean channel volume cranked full up and the high gain channel volume down MUCH lower then set the overall volume with the Master control. But rest assured that high gain channel alone is worth the price of admission
              As for the Randall Lynch Box, its nice too but if its more $ than the RM100 just get the regular RM100 and use the Lynch modules with it. Mr. Scary is a classic Lynch sound. The Lynch box head is basically an RM100. I have not bought the other Lynch modules yet but I have Mr. Scary in a regular RM100 and it sounds good!
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Splawn Nitro or Promod or Quickrod maybe... i am using a pro mod right now. I was going to suggest a slo too. I own the pro mod right now. i have owned a few slo's too. I would like to try the nitro though and have only heard clips so i cant say that i have heard it in person. the pro mod is awesome though and it replaced the slo for me... not that it was/is beter one way or the other. just a different tone. i have had quite a few 5150's too and the slo replaced the 5150 heads for me... so maybe the slo is the way to go if you are looking for some of the similar tones but with more clarity and definition.
                Last edited by Firebird V; 07-11-2008, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Mesa Road King?
                  Scott

Comment

Mark IV w/ recto cabs
                    CURRENT GEAR SET UP
                    2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
                    1989 JACKSON KING V
                    1984 JACKSON RR
                    AXE FX II
                    MESA BOOGIE 2:90
                    DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
                    FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
                    (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
                    (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

Bogner Uber, VHT Pit, SLO100
                      www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

Bogner Ecstasy 101B. I had one of the newly revoiced 2007 models, but I had to get rid of it when I moved from Dallas to San Francisco. No space.

I found that the red channel on that amp gave me all the gain I would ever need. Plus the Blue channel allows you to cover everything from blues to Van Halen. The Uber is great as well.

Comment

I wonder where these rumors of ENGL's being badly built are coming from?
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                            I wonder where these rumors of ENGL's being badly built are coming from?
                            +1. News to me. And ANY of these amps will be tough fixes if something breaks. It's the natural of a complex multi channel amp.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned the Diezel Herbert or VH4 or Genz Benz El Diablo

Comment

www.petersamplification.com Chimera
                              "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Working...
                              X